- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Tuna Blue Salad Recipe
Vote for the Tuna Blue Salad!
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info for this post:
Blueberries are good as "hill" for you! Loaded with anthocyanin, a naturally occurring anti-inflammatory that helps prevent arteries from constricting by keeping them pliable & juiced with nitric oxide. High in fiber, and high in vitamins K & C (but not the sunshine band) and manganese, too, blueberries help create & sustain a sound immune system & heart health.
All the Ingredients
Recipe in Rebus
Mise en Place
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, rinsed & dried
- 1 head romaine hearts, rinsed & dried
- 1 bunch green scallions, diced
- 8 oz blueberries, if organic, good to go
- 2-4 oz raw pine nuts
- 8 oz Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 big can albacore tuna, in H₂O, drained. Albacore, not plain tuna, is essential to the finished taste.
- 1 bunch asparagus, blanched, chilled & chopped
- 1-2 red bell pepper(s), julienne cut
- TIP: You can sub fresh tuna steaks to good effect, but this increases cost & prep time. If you have the time & cash, though---go for it!
How to do it:
- Chop lettuces into bite size pieces & toss together.
- Dice green onions & separate white dice from green. I usually only use the green parts, but a little of the white can be nice, too!
- Remove tough stems from asparagus with knife or by snapping off ends. The latter method is probably better, but hard to photograph one-handed! Blanch, dry & set aside.
- The trick to this salad is assembly! (and that's all) You want to put the lighter, rounder things--like blueberries & diced green onions--on the bottom, and the heavier items like tuna, Gorgonzola crumbles, asparagus spears, etc.--on top! Easy-peasy. Just refer to the handy Rebus in the side-bar if in doubt! ;)
- Your base is a mix of red-leaf lettuce & romaine base, diced green onions & blueberries.
- Topped with julienned red bell & chopped asparagus spears.
- Finished with tuna, Gorgonzola crumbles & pine nuts. Poppy Seed is a great dressing choice with this, and maybe a slice of...Garlic, Cheesy Toast!