- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
How to make the perfect, moist Vegan Carrot Cake without eggs. Recipe.
Making a carrot cake without using eggs, milk or butter sounds hard, making a cake like that that doesn't taste dry and bland seems impossible but it doesn't have to be.
When my sixteen year old daughter decided to become a vegan my first reaction was panic, she loves cake and I couldn’t find one vegan cake recipe in any of my cook books. My second reaction was worry that she wouldn’t get enough nourishment to remain healthy. How would she cope without cheese, milk, butter and eggs? How could I, as her mother, provide her with decent vegan meals? I'll admit that I did try to talk her out of it, I guess I did overreact, just a bit.
She has been Vegan now for over a year and she is happy and healthy and I have learnt how to make the perfect vegan cake. So I thought I would share the recipe with you.
I did find vegan recipes on line and in books at the library. Some were simple and tasty but the vegan cake recipes all seemed too dry or too stodgy. After much trial and error and tweaking of ingredients, today, almost a year to the day when she first decided to become a vegan, I have made her a birthday cake that is just about the most perfect cake recipe I have made so far. It is slightly sticky, moist and the lemon frosting contrasts perfectly with the sweet interior. It looks great too but you will have to take my word for that as the cake was half eaten by the time I had fetched my camera! Seems the cake was almost as camera shy as my daughter.
Always use a very good vanilla essence, it really does make a big diffence.
8 oz (225g) grated carrot
3 oz (85g) dates 3oz (85g) dried cherries
5 oz (140g) SR white flour
5 oz (140g) SR wholemeal flour
6 oz (170g) light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
7 fl oz (200 ml) vegetable oil
7 fl oz (200 ml) water
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp good quality vanilla essence
8 oz (225g) icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence.
1tsp lemon juice
3 oz (115g) vegan margarine
Lemon zest to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5.
2. To make the cake, mix together all of the dry ingredients, then stir in the wet ones.
3. Bake for 40 minutes, then reduce oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3 and cook for another 35 - 40 minutes. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
4. To make the icing stir the sifted icing sugar and vanilla essence into the margarine with a wooden spoon mix this until it is quite smooth and a spread able consistency.
5. When the cake is completely cold remove it from the tin and place it on a serving plate. Spread the icing over the top and sides and then sprinkle the lemon zest over the icing to decorate.
This cake will keep very well for a couple of days if you keep it covered in a cool place but don‘t put it in the fridge as it goes rock hard.
Check out my blog for more great tasting vegan and vegetarian recipies, and for tips on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.