- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan Curries: Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Gojju (Curry) Recipe
Some Information About Pineapple Gojju
This curry is a sure treat to those who love sweet, tangy and spicy dish. Pineapple gojju is an authentic dish of Karnataka state, India. It is mandatory to make this curry in functions, especially in Brahmins community.
Gojju is a curry made of stir fried or cooked vegetables/fruits mixed with a spicy coconut gravy. I mixed cooked pineapple and the spicy coconut gravy to make this delightful curry. Sesame seeds give a distinct flavor to this gojju. Boiling the gravy for a longer time increases the storage time. This curry remains fresh in the refrigerator for a week.
Serve this sweet, spicy, and tangy curry with plain rice, idli, flatbread, or roti. It will be a finger-licking experience for sure!
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: Serves four people
- 2 cups pineapple, flesh cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Bengal gram split
- 2 tsp dehusked black gram split
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5-6 red chilies, moderate hot variety
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp coconut oil, or any other cooking oil for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 red chili, broken, for the tempering
- 1 tsp oil, for roasting the spices
- 2 tbsp jaggery, powdered
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, optional
- 2-3 pinches hing/asafoetida
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp, use depending on the sourness of the pineapple
Step-By-Step Instructions and Photos for Making Pineapple Gojju (Curry) :
- wash pineapple. Remove the thorny skin and the rind. Chop the flesh in 1 cm cubes. Keep aside.
- Heat half a tsp oil in a pan. Add fenugreek seeds, Bengal gram split, and dehusked black gram split. Fry till black gram turns golden brown. Add cumin seeds, sesame seeds, broken red chili, half portion of hing, and curry leaves. Fry on a very low fire for half a minute. Add grated coconut. Turn off the fire. Mix the contents. Keep aside for cooling.
- Grind them adding some water, to get a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a vessel. Add pineapple pieces. Saute till they are soft. This may take about 3 minutes. Add turmeric powder, jaggery powder, tamarind pulp, and some salt. Mix well. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes. You can cover the vessel for fast cooking.
- Pour the ground paste and remaining salt. Mix well. Cook on a low fire for a few minutes or till the spices combine well with the pineapple.
- It is time for adding the tempering. Heat oil in a small hand pan. Add mustard seeds. Let it pop. Throw in dehusked black gram split, broken red chili, remaining hing, and curry leaves. Mix well. Transfer it on the pineapple gojju when the black lentil turns golden. Mix it with the curry. Pineapple gojju is ready to serve.
- Serve this yummy curry with rice, flatbread, idli, or dosa. Enjoy the sweet, spicy, and tangy taste!
Nutritional Information of Pineapple Gojju(Curry)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|