- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan Dirty Rice
Chef Monsieur Doughboy Presents Dirty Rice
Get Down and Dirty
Vegetarians and vegans often crave rich, meaty tasting dishes but have no idea how to achieve that and remain faithful to their meat free commitment. But a little thought and a lot of inspiration can help solve this issue.
Dirty rice is one of the foods I often crave. This slightly spicy food is easy to make and is filling, helping the diner feel full longer. Additionally rice is a very healthy food and has been a staple of many cultures for thousands of years, being the primary food for over three million people the world over.
Rice contains many necessary nutrients, including Protein, Iron, Fiber, Vitamin B and Manganese. White rice contains fewer of these benefits although many vitamins are added back in after the hulling process is complete.
Brown or black rice may be used in the following Dirty Rice recipe to add nutrients and other health factors. Whatever kind of rice the chef decides to use, this dish is guaranteed to be delicious. Even kids will ask for a second helping.
Great Ingredients Produce Great FoodClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sous Chef Hyphenbird, Isn't That Rice Done Yet?
Cook Time for the Rice
- 1 cup Rice, any kind
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 small Onion
- to taste Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbl Soy Sauce
- 1 links Vegan Sausage, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Fresh or Frozen Corn
- 1/2 cup Fresh or Frozen Peas
Preparing the Rice
- Heat 2 cups of water to a boil, add salt to taste
- Chop garlic and onion while water is heating
- When water comes to a boil, add 1 cup of rice, mix in chopped onion and garlic. Stir well.
- Cover with lid, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 18 minutes or until tender. DO NOT OVERCOOK
- Meanwhile finely chop vegan sausage and assemble other ingredients (soy sauce and oil)
- Heat a skillet or wok on medium high heat, add oil.
- When rice is done, fluff it with a fork. Transfer to hot skillet or wok. Stir in vegan sausage, soy sauce and any desired spices to add heat.
- Stir fry until all ingredients are combined and the rice looks "dirty".
- Place in serving dish and add vegetables around edge.
Vote For Monsieur's Cajun Recipe
Vegan Dirty Rice Nutrition
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|