- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan Pressure Cooker Lentil Stew
Great Stew Recipe
- 1lb green lentils, dry
- 1000 grams potatoes, your favorite kind!
- 2 cups mixed vegetables, whatever kind you like
- 4 cups vegetable broth, maybe more or less
- 1T chopped garlic, optional
- 2T tamari sauce
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1T cayenne pepper
- 1T salt
- 1T pepper
Cooking in a Pressure Cooker
- Peel and chop the potatoes into to medium sized chunks.
- Add the spices, tomato paste, and broth into the pot. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Add the chopped potatoes, the lentils, and the vegetables and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Put the lid on your pressure cooker and make sure the vent is sealed. Then set the timer to 22 minutes.
- When the timer goes off you can let the pressure out naturally, or use the quick release valve.
- Give the stew a stir and put it into your favorite bowl. Serve with hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and Tricks for Your Pressure Cooker
I used an Instant Pot in order to make this meal, and many other meals as well. In my experience, when you use fresh vegetables instead of frozen, the time for the cooker to come to pressure is far shorter. Another way to shorten the pressurizing time is to use boiled water to mix with the bouillon product instead of cold or room temperature. You can expect 10-15 minutes added to the cook time for the appliance to come to pressure. If you use the quick release valve, pull the cooker away from any cabinets in order to reduce any damage that may be done to them due to the steam. In order to protect yourself from the steam, it helps to move the valve with the back of your stirring utensil. This appliance is one of the best investments I have ever made in regards to my kitchen. I do not know what I would do without it!