- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan Zucchini Bread
Since I started planting my small garden earlier this season, I am starting to see an abundance of vegetables starting to ripen. Zucchinis are one of the fastest to grow, which means it's time to bake zucchini bread!
My easy zucchini bread recipe makes the perfect healthy and satisfying snack for bread lovers.
It's a healthy vegan zucchini bread, with no eggs or butter which are the usual ingredients for a classic zucchini bread. In this recipe, I replaced the butter with unsweetened applesauce and added coconut oil for moisture.
In addition, the recipe calls for a touch of lemon zest and toasted walnuts. What a winning combo!
Did you know that National Zucchini Bread Day is on April 25? Although I missed the date while waiting for my zucchinis to ripen, it's never too late to celebrate this healthy delicious bread.
Zucchini bread is typically sweet and moist, with of course grated zucchini. I've seen people add various various other ingredients such as cranberries, nuts, carrots, chocolate chips, orange zest, and even rosemary.
Did you know that zucchini is also really healthy for you?
- High in vitamins K and Potassium
- Glycemic Index of 0
- Low in calories (about 17 calories per 100 grams)
- No fat and cholesterol
- The skin contains dietary fiber
"White" Whole Wheat Flour
Do not confuse "white" whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat flour.
It is made from a different variety of wheat, a white spring wheat rather than traditional red wheat. It offers all the same nutritional benefits of traditional whole wheat!
Ingredients for Vegan Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional: ground ginger)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane sugar
- 1/4 cup virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
**For added flavor and crunch stir in toasted walnuts along with the 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs.
Instructions for Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and generously spray your bread pans with cooking spray such as PAM. As you can see in the picture, I decided to use mini squared muffin pans. It just looks cuter and easier to serve in single servings.
- Grate the zucchinis with a cheese grater. I like a fine, shredded zucchini.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and sugar.
- In a second large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, applesauce, lemon juice and zest, vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Add in grated zucchini at the end.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool bread on a wire rack for 15 minutes then invert loaves onto the wire rack to continue to cool.
- Serve warm or let bread cool completely. If you doubled the recipe to make 2 loaves, you can store completely cooled bread in an airtight container or wrap with freezer wrap to freeze for up to 2 months.