Vegan and Gluten Free Vegetable Lasagna
Whether you are avoiding gluten for health reasons, living vegan for clean eating, or looking to add more fiber to your diet, this gluten-free and vegan 'lasagna' is a perfect dish. Layers of thinly sliced vegetables nestle in a pure tomato sauce and are baked to soft perfection. The freshness of the produce and richness of the sauce are hearty and filling. And, to boot, it can be prepared in advance and baked when it's needed. I hope you enjoy.
Rate This Dish
- 1 Large or 2 Medium Eggplants, Sliced into thin circles
- 1 Medium Zucchini, Sliced into thin circles
- 1 Small Onion, Sliced thin or diced
- 1 Medium Tomato, Chopped
- 1 32 Oz Can Crushed Tomatoes or Jarred Sauce
- Fresh Herbs, Chopped
- Salt and Pepper, To taste
- Slice vegetables thinly, striving for 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch thick
- Spray a square casserole pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking
- Layer vegetables as you like, placing longer-cooking vegetables on the bottom if necessary (carrots are an example)
- Between layers of vegetables, spread crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce and add any spices you like. Salt and pepper are sufficient
- Continue layering until all vegetables are used
- Bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes to thoroughly cook vegetables and thicken sauce
As with most of my recipes, this one can be created using almost any vegetables you enjoy. If using a sturdier vegetable like carrot or broccoli, be sure to chop them appropriately small to ensure thorough cooking.
To change up the basic flavor profile, consider adding a dusting of other spices: cumin powder, garlic powder (or crushed garlic), grated or powdered ginger.