- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan 'Chicken' Noodle Soup Recipe
Home Made Soup Is Cheap and Good for You.
Homemade soup is quick, cheap and easy to make and you know exactly what goes in it. It works out much cheaper than any ready made soup you can buy in a store. It's healthier too, as store bought soup often has a very high salt content and contains far too many flavour enhancers. I have found that children love this soup and it is a great way of getting vegetables into them if they are a bit on the fussy side when it comes to eating greens.
Chicken noodle soup, or it's vegetarian equivalent, is one of those things that when eaten just makes you fell better somehow. It's a true comfort food, like a nice big hug from a friend, it wraps around you and inside you and makes you feel all warm and comfortable. It's a great dish to serve on a cold winter's day. It looks rich and golden and is even good enough for a fancy dinner party. Just add a swirl of cream or vegan alternative, and a few chopped fresh herbs.
Being a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean that you have to miss out on all that good stuff.This is a recipe for a filling, quick and easy to make soup that is also healthy and very tasty. It’s ideal for lunch time or as a light supper dish served with a few chunks of nice hot crusty bread to soak up all of the goodness.
- 2 large leeks, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tin sweetcorn, drained
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 1 packet rice or ribbon noodles, crumbled
- 1 bag vegan chicken pieces
- 1 head broccoli, in florets
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 vegan stock cube
- salt and pepper, to taste
- i litre water
- Wash and trim the leeks and spring onions and then finely chop.
- Peel the carrots and dice.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and then peel and dice the garlic cloves.
- In a jug make up the stock cube as directed, add all these ingredients to a large pan, adding more water to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are just beginning to go soft, this should take around ten to fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, fry the chicken style pieces in a little seasoned olive oil until they are cooked through.
- Add the rice noodles to the vegetable mixture by crumbling them into the pan so that they break into small pieces, if you are using ribbon noodles leave them in strips approximately six inches in length. Add the drained can of sweetcorn and the cooked chicken style pieces. Season to taste. Cook for a further ten minutes until the noodles are soft.
- Serve immediately in a heated bowl with lots of hot crusty bread.
How to Re-Heat This Vegan Soup.
I often make this soup early in the day, or even the day before I want it, as it keeps really well and reheats very easily. Just slowly warm it through in a large heavy based pan but don't allow the soup to boil at any time as this will ruin the flavour.
This vegan soup is packed full of antioxidants and vitamins and contains garlic, known to help lower cholesterol levels and reduce blood pressure. Broccoli and carrots are thought to have cancer preventing qualities too.
This soup can also be made with beef style pieces, TVP chunks or tofu.
© 2010 GALAXY 59