Vegetable Upma - Tasty Semolina Recipe - A healthy Carbohydrate food - Veg Upma Recipe
Semolina (aka Sooji) is the purified, coarse form of Wheat middling made out of Durrum Wheat. It is rich in Carbohydrate and is a healthy Fibre food. There are many dishes that you can make using Semolina, One of which is the tasty and healthy dish known as Vegetable Upma.
Vegetable Upma is a quick to make Indian Recipe which is mostly consumed as Breakfast or evening snack in India.
I personally love preparing the dish and enjoy eating it and having my taste buds tickled. It is quick to make and tasty to eat, and the good thing is that you even don't gain any Fat eating it !!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: One cup servers two
- 1 Cup Semolina/Sooji, Available in Indian Grocery Store (Image1)
- Small Bit of Ginger, Cut into small Pieces (Image 2)
- Half Onion, Chooped into fine small pieces (Image 2)
- 4-5 Green Chilli, Cut into small Pieces (Image 2)
- One Tomato, Cut into small Pieces (Image 2)
- Some Cauliflower, cut into medium pieces (Image 3)
- Some Green Pea, The frozen ones work great (Image 3)
- Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida, Available in Indian Grocery Store (Image 4)
- 4-5 Spoons Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- Some Fresh Coriander Leaves, (Image 5)
- 1 Spoon Salt
- Take the cauliflower and Frozen peas in a bowl, add some water and keep it to microwave for 3 minutes
- Put oil in the frying pan and let it heat
- Once oil is hot add Ginger, Green chilli and Onion and let it fry until the onion looks crisp fried. (See Image 6)
- Drain the water from Cauliflower and peas and put them in frying pan to get nicely fried. (See Image 7)
- Then add in the chopped tomatoes and let it fry nicely. (See Image 7)
- Add in 3 cups of water to the frying pan and add Salt, hing and coriander leaves. (See Image 8)
- Let the water boil nicely and start bubling out. (See Image 9)
- Now add semolina slowly and keep continuosly stirring while adding it, to avoid lumps of semolina to be formed.
- Once added, mix it well and cover it with a lid and leave it until all the water evaporates. Leaving behind the tasty Vegetable Upma ready to eat. (Image 10)
- It tastes best when hot, so serve hot. You can also have it with Tomato sauce or just have it alone, enjoy the dish !!
|Serving size: 100g|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 72 g||24%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|