Lentil and aubergine-egg plant moussaka recipe¬Simple Greek moussaka recipe
Vegetable Moussaka is a Greek dish mostly layered with aubergines(egg plant), potatoes and pulses topped with yogurt based cheese sauce and tomatoes.
Ingredients for moussaka sauce
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup cooked lentils
- 1 Aubergine, sliced
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 Courgette, sliced
- 1 Pepper, sliced
- 2 medium sized Potato sliced, sliced
- 7-8 Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Celeries, chopped
- 1 1 Vegetable stock cubes
- Mint or fresh basil
Ingredients for cheese sauce
- 30g Medium fat hard cheese, freshly grated
- 150g Greek style yogurt or low fat natural yogurt
- Corn flour
- Ground black pepper
- Ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
Preparation method of moussaka:
- Fry the Aubergine slices from both sides in a little oil in a frying pan until they are brown. Remove from the pan and keep it on kitchen towel. Same with potato slices fry them till they are golden and crispy. Keep aside
- Heat some more oil in a pan. Add garlic and onion cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add tomatoes and all the other sliced vegetables and cooked lentils. Add some water with vegetable stock and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Season with herbs, basil,salt and ground black pepper.
- Preheat the oven. In the meantime make the cheese sauce. Mix together yogurt, grated hard cheese, egg, corn flour and freshly grated nutmeg. Beat the mixture nicely and season with salt, black and white pepper.
- In a baking dish, layer the tomatoes, lentil and vegetables. Topped with sliced aubergines and potatoes.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture and spread it evenly. Bake the veggie moussaka in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and veggies are tender. Serve immediately. Good with some crunchy salad.
Non-vegetarians won’t miss anything in this dish but as an alternative you can replace the lentils with chopped cooked chicken.