- Food and Cooking
Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Vote for Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole!
Lada Layer--the Lyrics..;)
A trip 'cross the border
doesn't have to rely,
on beastie for feastie
or fishie to fry..
with proteins like soy!
Mixed in with wheat!
What's not to enjoy!
(and goodies like cheese)
because, I mean really,
Ladas with nada
would be silly.
So read on, dear Veggie
Dear animal lover…
this dish is delish,
as you'll soon discover…
Recipe in Rebus:
- 3-4 cups plain, corn tortilla chips
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained
- 12 oz package meatless crumbles, soy/wheat blend available in health food stores
- 1 cup shallots, minced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 TBSP chipotle chili powder, (regular chili for milder results)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 TBSP. olive oil
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced and seeded (as desired)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, sliced in wedges
- 1 lime, juiced
How to Do It:
- Dice tomatoes & set aside for now.
- Fork the leaves from the bunch of cilantro, and set aside.
- Dice the green part of the green onions, & set aside. You can use the white part, too, if you like, but it's pretty tangy. (this is a raw garnish for the finished product.)
- Peel garlic & shallots, and mince. Seed, vein, & mince jalapeño, as well, keeping these 3 items separate. Use as much or as little of the pepper's vein as you like, keeping in mind that this is where the capsaicin is most concentrated--the pepper's palate-punching factor.
- Head on over to the stove. Heat the olive oil to sizzling, and add the shallots first.
- Add the jalapeño next, and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic. As soon as you hear this sizzle, it's done. Lower heat--or remove from heat for a minute--and add chili powder. Mix well.
- Add cumin. Mix well.
- Grind in a little pepper--salt if desired.
- Add meatless crumbles, mix really, REALLY well, and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Drain & rinse the pinto beans. Warm them over a medium heat.
- Mash them by hand partially.
- Squeeze in some fresh lime juice, mix well, and remove from heat. Time to assemble the Lada Layers!
- In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, assemble a layer of coarsely broken chips.
- Spoon the spicy, crumble mixture on top of that.
- Add the bean mixture on top of that.
- Top this with tomatoes.
- Sprinkled cilantro bits over the tomatoes.
- Top this with another layer of broken chips.
- Top the chips with a layer of shredded, pepper jack cheese.
- Place in preheated oven at 350, and cook 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Allow to sit for a minute or two, and then cut into squares. Top with avocado, sour cream, chopped green onions & sliced black olives. Enjoy, muchachos!