- Food and Cooking
Potato - Leek Soup Recipe
Vote for Vichyssoise
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info for this post:
Leeks are leaping into the limelight, and long overdue! A relative of garlic, shallots, scallions & onions it's part of the Allium family, so naturally, it helps aid digestion, while at the same time lowering LDL cholesterol, and heightening the good: HDL.
Sweet and delicious, they pack a punch in the vitamin department. too, providing manganese, vitamin C, iron, vitamin B6, and folate, all while helping to regulate the blood sugar! I "leek" the sound of that, don't you?
Do you get your Carb On?
Do you consume carbohydrates on a daily basis?
Recipe in Rebus:
- 7 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 4 leeks
- 4 medium shallots
- 2 cups ½ &½
- 4 cups NS chicken stock
- 1 bunch chives
- 1/4 cup butter, (or substitute)
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Do It:
- Trim green parts off of leeks, and CLEAN thoroughly. I like to buy already cleaned leeks, because their layers can really hang onto grit!
- Dice very fine and set aside.
- Dice shallots and set aside.
- Peel potatoes, and cut into thirds. TIP: to prevent browning, store taters in cold water while you work.
- Heat pan & melt butter.
- Add leeks, and cook until starting to exude water, and--.
- Add shallots, simmer until translucent.
- Add chicken stock.
- Add potatoes.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes with a cover on the pan or until tender.
- Mash potatoes by hand to a soupy mashed consistency.
- Add cream.
- Using an immersion blender (or food processor) blend until just smooth.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Top with chives!