- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Vietnamese Stuffed Squid Recipe (Muc Nhoi Thit) Recipe
Tender and moist squid stuffed with savory pork and mushroom filling. Muc Nhoi Thit or Vietnamese style stuffed squid is appetizer made of fresh squid filled with meat paste. The filling is moist, juicy and crunchy.
Commonly the filling is made of pork, cellophane noodles and earwood mushroom but any kind of ground meat can be used. This is very tasty and fun appetizer to make and also elegant. Always use fresh squid for the best flavor.
Here is how to make Muc Nhoi Thit at home. Serve it with your favorite dipping sauce.
What You Need
1 1/2 lbs squid, cleaned
2 - 3 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 cup dried ear mushroom
1/2 lb ground pork
1 bundle cellophane noodles (about 2 oz)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp minced ginger
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp black pepper
How to Fix
- Soak the cellophane noodles in hot water about 10 minutes or until its pliable. Then drain and cut into 1-inch length.
- Soak the dried ear mushroom in warm water about 10 minutes. Then drain and slice thinly.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground pork, noodles, mushrooms, onion, ginger, sugar and fish sauce. Use spatula or spoon to mix well.
- Stuff the squid with pork mixture. Hold the squid with one hand and use the other hand to stuff. Add a small amount of pork mixture at a time and gently push it with your finger to the end of squid. Do not overstuff because we do not want it burst during cooking or even get half cooked filling. Insert the a toothpick to close the squid.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add cooking oil. Put the squid into the skillet. Sear the squid until its golden on both sides. Turning 1 or 2 times as needed. Continue to cook on low heat until the squid firm and brown. Do not overcook or it will be rubbery. Cooking time may vary depending on how big is your squid. Transfer to serving dish and let it cool.
- Before serving, remove the toothpick from the squid. Cut the squid into slices. Serve them hot or at room temperature with dipping sauce.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Baked Hoisin Glazed Chicken Wing Recipe (Canh Ga Nuong Tuong)
Learn how to make Asian Chicken wing.
- Vietnamese Asparagus Crab Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Tay Cua). How to Make Asian Asparagus Crab Soup !
A low fat crab soup recipe.
- Vietnamese Sweet Rice Dumplings In Ginger Syrup (Che Xoi Nuoc) Recipe
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
How to make exotic fragrant grilled chicken.
- Vietnamese Shrimp And Sweet Potato Fritters Recipe (Banh Tom)
- Vietnamese Beef Rice Noodle Soup (Pho Bo) Recipe