Vintage Recipe Fruit Cocktail Cookies
Old Fashioned Cookies
I like collecting old cookbooks and I came across this recipe from a 60 year old cookbook. Fruit cocktail is not something I ever thought would make a good cookie. I have had applesauce cake and desserts with dried fruit but never fruit cocktail.
I am just adding this recipe because I think it is interesting, but if you do make the cookies leave a comment telling me what they taste like.
- 16 ounce can fruit cocktail
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Drain fruit cocktail, reserve the syrup.
- Cream margarine, sugars and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients, then add alternately to creamed mixture with 1/3 cup reserved fruit cocktail syrup (if not enough for 1/3 cup add water)
- Stir in chopped nuts, raisins and fruit cocktail.
- Drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Cool. Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies.