- Food and Cooking»
Wet Your Whistle With Jameson Whiskey
Origin of Jameson Whiskey
Jameson is an Irish whiskey that was founded in 1810 by a father and his son, both named John Jameson.
Originally distilled in Dublin, this fine whiskey is now manufactured in Cork, Ireland.
What makes Jameson unique is that it is produced from a blend of grain whiskey and single pot still whiskey, which uses a mixture of malted and unmalted or green Irish barley, which are all located within a fifty-mile radius around the distillery in Cork.
As a blended whiskey the 3x distilled malt whiskey is mixed with grain whiskey which lightens the flavor and texture even more. You have to taste it to believe it.
Overall Jameson is a tasty whiskey with hints of vanilla and honey. On the rocks it's nice and as a mixer it's excellent.
Jameson is what I prefer to wet my whistle. While wetting my whistle I have encountered many people who also appreciate the fine taste of Jameson which led to many interesting conversations. I also learned some variations in which the spirit is served. If you are also a fan of Jameson I hope you learn a new concoction to wet your whistle.
The Many Ways to Enjoy Jameson Whiskey
- Take a shot. Take many shots. Jameson whiskey goes down smooth, well for most drinkers it does. Fellow patrons might frown upon sipping a shot, I beg to differ. It all depends on your mood.
- Chase the shot with a pickle back, which is an equivalent amount of pickle juice or you could eat a dill pickle. This practice is not for everyone, but those who participate seem to enjoy it.
- Straight up which is when the whiskey is shaken or stirred with ice and then strained and served without ice.
- Neat seems to be popular. No ice, water, mixer and not chilled.
- Whiskey could be served as a single, double or if you are feeling frisky a triple shot. As the saying goes, whiskey does make some of us a bit frisky.
Fun Bartender Fact:
“If you order whiskey on the rocks, neat, or with soda, then you’re telling me you genuinely enjoy that liquor because you’re not trying to mask its taste."
More Variations of Jameson Whiskey
- Whiskey on the rocks. Larger ice cubes are recommended since the smaller cubes tend to dilute the spirit. Some drinkers use just a few cubes, some fill the glass with ice. I prefer many ice cubes as I view this as hydrating while I dehydrate. Multitasking at it's best!
- Soda and Jameson. I've been told club, coke, diet coke, ginger ale, sprite, etc...a fruit garnish is a nice touch.
- Add just a bit of water which can activate new tastes to your whiskey, but not too much to avoid dilution.
- Use a cocktail straw to slowly savor each sip.
- James Joyce: - Irish whiskey, orange liqueur, sweet vermouth and lime juice. Combine all ingredients in an ice-filled cocktail shaker and shake until cold. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Irish Mule: Ginger beer, lime juice and whiskey. Fill a copper mug (or other glass) with ice. Pour in whiskey and lime juice, top with ginger beer.
- The Copper: Jameson Black Barrel, lemon juice, Irish spiced tea syrup and non-alcoholic apple cider. Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.
Shake, and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Irish Coffee: Hot coffee, Irish whiskey and sugar, stirred, and topped with thick cream. The coffee is drunk through the cream.
- The Irish Car Bomb: Irish whiskey, Baileys cream and Guinness Stout. Add the Baileys and Jameson Irish Whiskey to a shot glass. Drop the shot into a half-pint of Guinness Beer. Bottoms up!
Never pour the whiskey in the glass before the ice cubes. Fill the glass with ice cubes then slowly pour in the whiskey.
Believe It Or Not - There Are Benefits To Drinking Whiskey
Below are some ways that whiskey could benefit your health. Just like any substance we consume, moderation is key. Binge drinking is not recommended.
- Aids in weight loss.
- Helps to reduce stress.
- Assists in controlling diabetes.
- Decreases the risk of a Ischemic Stroke.
- Healthy for cholesterol levels.
- Prevents heart disease.
- Reduces risk of cancer.
- Gives your memory a needed boost.
- Useful in preventing illnesses and improving the immune system.
Tips To Avoid A Hangover
- How severe a hangover is directly related to the amount of alcohol consumed. Drinking in moderation, or not at all, is the single best way to prevent a hangover.
- The severity of hangovers can be significantly reduced by drinking clear spirits (low in congeners), such as vodka, gin or rum. Whiskey is high in congeners, but that is what makes whiskey drinkers so badass.
- Eat a burger not a salad before the partying starts since fatty foods slow down the absorption of alcohol.
- Drinking more alcohol the next morning is a famous hangover remedy. This risky method has yet to be proven effective, but there is some interesting science behind it. So enjoy that Bloody Mary at brunch.
- Drinking plenty of water can help reduce some of the main symptoms of hangovers, including thirst and headache. But do not drink so much water that it disturbs your sleep.
- Alcohol can impair the quality of your sleep. Make sure you have plenty of time to sleep in after a night of celebration.
- Eating a good breakfast is a renowned hangover remedy. It can help restore blood sugar levels, which mitigates some of the symptoms. A poached egg, dry omelet are good ideas, but skip the greasy bacon and sausage which could aggravate your tummy.
- Pop a multi-vitamin and/or Motrin upon arising.
Do You Wet Your Whistle With Whiskey?
© 2018 Linda Bilyeu