What The Heck Are Snickerdoodle Cookies?
So what exactly are snickerdoodle cookies?
Snickerdoodle cookies are a very distinctive sugar coated cookie. It is believed that they may have originated in Germany, England or Holland, but it is difficult to trace the exact anscestry of these delicious sugar coated cookies.
Recipes for these tasty treats are generally handed down from mother to daughter within the family with each family considering their recipe to be the true historical one.
Your Snickerdoodle cookies can wind up being either soft or crisp, depending on the recipe that you use, and the country from which your recipe originates.
One fact is certain about Snickerdoodle cookies, each and every one of them tastes great, and that is something that is not likely to change no matter which recipe it is that you use to create yours.
Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
Basic Dough Mixture:
One half cup softened butter
One cup sugar
One quarter teaspoon baking soda
One quarter teaspoon cream of tartar
One large egg
One half teaspoon vanilla
One and one half cups all purpose flour
Four tablespoons granulated sugar
One and a half teaspoons of cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a mixing bowl blend together butter, one cup sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well blended. Stir in flour.
3. Cover bowl and chill for about one hour.
4. Mix together the four tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon. Shape dough into one inch balls and roll in these into the sugar mixture until they are coated. Place balls about two inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for about eight to ten minutes or until cookie edges are golden in color.