- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
What To Do With Summer Squash
What can I do with Yellow Squash and Zucchini.
Find delicious summer squash recipes and fun ideas for how to use your squash in this article.
I had no idea what to expect the first time I grew squash in my garden. If you've grown squash before you probably know what happened - the plants overtook my garden and my kitchen was soon filled with squash.
Now what? How do you cook squash? How do you eat it? What do I do with all of this squash!?
Well, since that first harvest I've found many uses for squash and I've gathered all of those ideas here to share with you.
What's Your Favorite Summer Squash?
Pan Fried Summer Squash
This a really simple way to prepare summer squash to eat and it also happens to be my favorite way! This works for all types of summer squash. I like to use 2-3 different varieties mixed together. Here's how I do it:
- Slice squash about 1/4 inch thick
- In a large frying pan, put a dollop of olive oil and a dollop of soy sauce.
(you can use extra oil if you don't like soy sauce)
- Put pan on burner set at a medium-high heat
- Place the squash slices on the pan after it heats up
- Allow to cook a few minutes and then flip the squash
- Lightly sprinkle the squash slices with garlic salt and parmesan cheese
- Allow to cook until squash is tender and both sides are lightly browned
Zucchini Chips Instructions
Other Uses For Summer Squash
Zucchini may be the most popular summer squash but the good news is that crookneck and straight neck squash can be used in place of zucchini for any recipe. That opens up our options a lot when we're thinking about how to use yellow squash!
The video to the right has instructions for zucchini chips but it will work for any summer squash. Try out different squash varieties and see which is your favorite!
Here are some more ideas for using summer squash:
- chop it up and throw it in a food processor then mix it with spaghetti sauce
- Put slices or chopped pieces in your lasagna or other casseroles
- Make Zucchini or Squash bread (recipe here)
- Chop it up and throw it in your stir fry
- Grill it on a kabob or wrap it in tin foil with butter and seasoning and stick in the coals
- Freeze it to use later (how to freeze squash)
- Use your favorite breading recipe to deep fat fry it
- Stuff it and bake it (Stuffed Squash recipe below)
225 Recipes For All Kinds Of Squash
It's called a zucchini cookbook but it is really so much more! There are 225 recipes in this book for all varieties of squash. This is a must have for any squash lover!
Veggie Stuffed Squash
This tasty stuffed squash recipe is full of antioxidants, fiber and other nutrients. You can follow the recipe exactly as is or change it up with your favorite vegetables or whatever is fresh from the garden.
- 6 Summer Squash, any variety
- 1/2 cup bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped & seeded
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- pinch black pepper
- butter or oil, for sauteing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place squash in a large pot and cover with water. If your squash are large you may need to do them in batches, 2 or 3 at a time. Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Cover and let the squash simmer about 8 minutes until they are tender but firm.
- While the squash is simmering, cut and chop the veggies for stuffing
- Drain squash and let them cool. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove pulp and chop it, setting squash shells aside for later use.
- Saute bell pepper and onion in butter or oil on medium heat until soft
- Saute chopped squash pulp (about 1 cup) in a separate pan
- In a large bowl, combine squash pulp, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, bread crumbs, cheese and garlic salt.
- Place squash shells on a baking dish and sprinkle the inside of each with salt and pepper
- Scoop stuffing mixture into each squash shell, top with extra breadcrumbs and drizzle with melted butter
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden brown
- Serve and enjoy!