What is Napa Cabbage? Napa Cabbage Recipe Included
What is Napa Cabbage?
Napa cabbage (also known as celery cabbage) is a type of Chinese cabbage that is used widely in East Asian cooking - mainly in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean cuisine.
As opposed to bok choy - another type of Chinese cabbage - napa cabbage is light in color (mix of white and light green) and much bigger in size.
Napa cabbage can be used in soups, salads, stir-fry, and other dishes. It can be prepared by itself as well.
Below you will find one of my napa cabbage recipes that you are sure to love. It's delicious and easy to make.
- 1 Napa Cabbage, medium size
- 1 Onion, medium size
- 2-3 Carrots, medium size
- Roasted Sesame Seeds
- Dried Parsley and/or Dried Basil
- 2-3 tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Aji Mirin (Sweet Rice Cooking Seasoning)
- Cooking Oil (Canola oil or other)
- Remove each leaf from the napa cabbage and thoroughly wash under running water. Then cut it into slices and set aside. Next wash and peel one or two carrots and cut into cubes or long narrow strips and set aside. Finally peel a medium-sized onion and cut into small strips or cubes.
- Take a large skillet, pour enough cooking oil (canola oil or other oil) to cover the bottom and place on the stove over medium heat. Once the skillet is heated place the onions inside and let them cook a few minutes turning them with a spatula. Don't let the onions burn. Add more cooking oil if necessary. Once the onions have turned golden brown remove them from the skillet onto a dish or bowl.
- Place the carrots onto the skillet (adding cooking oil if necessary) and let them cook for at least 5 minutes, turning them over with a spatula. You can cook them to your desired softness but it is better when the carrots are crunchy. Once the carrots are done remove them from the skillet. You can place them into the same dish or bowl that has the onions.
- Place the napa cabbage onto the skillet (adding cooking oil if necessary) and let cook for seven minutes, occasionally stirring it with a spatula. Then add carrots, onions, and a desired amount of salt. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and dried parsley and/or dried basil. Stir everything and let cook for a few more minutes.
- While the napa cabbage is cooking take out the teriyaki sauce and the aji mirin (sweet rice cooking seasoning) and mix them together in a small bowl. You need about 2 teaspoons of aji mirin and a few tablespoons of teriyaki sauce. Once mixed add the sauce to the skillet and stir. Let cook for a few minutes and turn off the heat. * It is best to have napa cabbage crunchy so make sure not to overcook it. Don't worry if you do though. It will still taste great either way.