White Manicotti with Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
Chicken Manicotti for Dinner Tonight!
This chicken manicotti dish is so flavorful and de-lish! My whole family loves it...and that is really saying something because I've got three, hard to please guys, who almost never agree on any one thing.
The recipe is easy, but because it takes so many steps, I usually divide it into two baking pans and freeze half. It tastes just as good the second time around. Cover and pop it right in the oven frozen. Bake at 350°F for an hour or until it is hot all the way through. Uncover, add Parmesan cheese, and bake for 15-20 minutes more.
I like to serve this with warm garlic bread, a green salad and a crisp Chardonney.
Mmmmm, bon appetit!
White Manicotti with Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 Pound Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Pound Button Mushrooms, Cleaned and Sliced
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 6 Ounces Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Chives or Green Onion, Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Medium Sized Onion, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Box (14) Manicotti Shells
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 6 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 1/2 Cups Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Monterrey Jack Cheese, Shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
Making the chicken and mushroom filling...
Instructions for Chicken Manicotti Recipe
- Rinse chicken and place into a steamer. Place mushrooms on top of chicken. Cover and steam chicken and mushrooms until the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, cream cheese, chives, salt and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until well blended. Set mixture aside.
- In a saute pan, cook the minced onion in 1 Tablespoon of butter until slightly golden. Remove from heat.
- Dice cooked chicken and mushrooms and add to onion mixture. Add cheese mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 and prepare the sauce.
- Melt 6 Tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add flour and salt, mix well. Whisk in milk gradually; cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Stir in Monterrey Jack and Cheddar Cheese until melted. Cover and remove from heat.
- Spread a layer of cheese sauce on the bottom of a large baking dish. Stuff manicotti shells with chicken mixture and arrange in a single layer in baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 minutes more or until Parmesan cheese is completely melted.