Vegan White Sauce (Bechamel) Recipe
Bechamel Sauce Recipe
Bechamel sauce, also known as white sauce, is commonly used as a base to create other sauces. Bechamel sauce is particularly popular in French cuisine as well as Italian cuisine.
This sauce base is really quite versatile. Vegan cheese can be added, making it an excellent sauce for macaroni and cheese. Herbs and spices can be added to give the sauce a unique flavor, making it excellent over pasta, veggies, or other dishes. Mustard is another popular flavoring for bechamel sauce. It can even be used in soup.
- For a cheese sauce, slowly stir in shredded non-vegan cheese over medium-low heat until the desired consistency has been achieved. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Make your own non-dairy milk to save money and use cleaner ingredients. Check out this article for several recipes. 10 Types of Vegan Milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup unflavored nut or oat milk
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir until combined.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until all milk has been added and the mixture is smooth.
- Add any other desired ingredients and continue to heat and stir, until thickened.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Audrey