White Sauce Recipe
Bechamel Sauce Recipe
Bechamel sauce, also known as white sauce, is commonly used as a base to create other sauces. Bechamel sauce is popular in French cuisine as well as Italian cuisine.
This sauce base is really quite versatile. Cheese can be added to the sauce, making it an excellent sauce for macaroni and cheese. Herbs and spices can be added to give the sauce flavor, making it excellent over pasta, meats, or other dishes. Mustard is another popular flavoring for bechamel sauce, making it a good companion for fish. It can even be used in soup.
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese was stirred into the sauce pictured above and it was seasoned with a generous pinch of each: salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. It was then drizzled over roasted vegetable penne.
- For a cheese sauce, slowly stir in shredded cheddar cheese over medium-low heat until the desired consistency has been achieved. Salt and pepper to taste.
- For a vegan bechamel sauce, use non-dairy milk and a vegan margarine.
- 2 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup unflavored nut or oat milk
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir until combined.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until all milk has been added and the mixture is smooth.
- Add any other desired ingredients and continue to heat and stir, until thickened.