Recipe for Pasta Arrabiata Modifed for Vegan
Pasta with an Onion and Tomato Sauce
This recipe calls for a minimal amount of fuss or bother, is quick to prepare and make.
More importantly it is like a good fast food outlet, as you modify it and change to it suit your mood and what is in your cupboard.
1 packet pasta of choice,
or Homemade pasta.
3 cloves of garlic
5ml of crushed black peppercorns
5ml of non-iodated sea salt
15 ml of oregano fresh is better
2 large onions
10 -15 cherry tomatoes (skinned) or 5 jam tomatoes
Chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
Chickpea Thickening or cornstarch
What do you do next
Bring a deep pot of water to boil add some salt, and a tablespoon of olive oil, add the packet of pasta to the pot. While the pasta is cooking.
Peel and chop the onion and the garlic, skin the tomatoes then add them all to the liquidiser or blender. Blend until the ingredients are smooth, and then transfer them to the stainless steel saucepans.
- Bring it to the boil giving it a good stir.
- Once it boils cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and reduce the heat to low then add the crushed pepper, let it simmer till it the onions, tomato mixture forms a thickish sauce, adjust the water content if to thick, or add a teaspoon of flour and water paste if to thicken it if to thin. Adjust to your taste and likes. In my household it is a good thick spooning type of sauce.
- Keeping an eye on the pasta, check to see if it is cooked to your taste
- Drain the pasta and place into your serving bowl, drizzle with some olive oil.
- Either pour the sauce over the pasta and then dish up.
- Or serve up the pasta and let each each dish up there own sauce.
- Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan Cheese over the dish
And now for quick changes to the basics
The following, as I said before can be like the Fast Food outlet.
To the basic sauce, at point 3.
Add any finely chopped vegetables,
- Zucchini, snap peas, etc.,
- Cooked meats, Leave this out if you are Vegan
- Left overs,usually some vegetables
- Of course, chilies, and other spices that your family likes
My favourite is chopped ham, and mushrooms. Only the chopped mushrooms need be added if you are Vegan.
Let the mixture boil for a few minutes until the additives are heated through, or cooked.