Yang Chow Fried Rice Recipe
How to Make Yang Chow Fried Rice
Although Yang Chow fried rice originated in eastern China (Yang Zhou), but it is popular throughout the world. Contrary to other variants of fried rice with heavy soy sauce and seasoning, it is very lightly seasoned with no soy sauce at all. Because its clean and fresh flavor, Chinese love to serve it at the end of a formal banquet such as wedding, birthday or other celebration. Ordinarily baked or boiled ham is used but Chinese barbecued pork can make a great Yang Chow style fried rice too.
This fried rice recipe is very simple. You just need very little ingredients to make this classic Chinese dish. The cooking process itself is easy to follow. All you need is a decent Chinese wok. That's all. Some people love to add egg and or light soy sauce to their personal version of Yang Chow fried rice.
What You Need
4 cup cold cooked rice
5 oz small shrimp (chopped)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup diced cooked ham
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped spring onions
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
How to Fix
- Heat a heavy wok or skillet over high heat. Then add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to coat the wok sides. Add the shrimps. Use a metal spatula to stir-fry the shrimp until they are lightly orange but are not cooked through.
- Add the remaining vegetable oil, peas and rice. Continue to stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes or until the rice is heated through. Use the spatula to break up the rice lumps.
- Add spring onions, salt, pepper and ham. Stir-fry about 1 minute to combine or until the shrimp are cooked. Transfer to serving plate. Serve it hot or wam.
Yang Chow Fried Rice ala Filipino (with little bit light soy sauce)
How to Make Fried Rice Like A Pro
More Asian Recipes
- Stir-Fried Asparagus with Spicy Sichuan Sauce Recipe. How to Cook Chinese Style Asparagus!
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
- Vietnamese Mung Bean Sticky Rice (Xoi Vo) Recipe
- Easy and Tasty Vietnamese Chicken Salad Recipe (Goi Ga)
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
- Vietnamese Baked Hoisin Glazed Chicken Wing Recipe (Canh Ga Nuong Tuong)
- Stir-Fried Garlicky Shanghai Bok Choy