- Food and Cooking
Yummy Easy Organic Banana Nut Bread
Certain foods like certain songs can conjure up a specific memory or feeling. While I am writing this hub, I am eating a piece of freshly made organic banana bread while enjoying a cup of coffee. I have been transported to my childhood home in Michigan, on a cold winters evening, when we would enjoy a cup of hot chocolate along with a piece of my mom's banana nut bread while sitting next to the warmth of the fireplace. Ahh, such a wonderful memory. Do you have a particular food that takes you back to a pleasant memory?
Banana nut bread is a family favorite, and it is extra yummy with the organic ingredients. It is like having a guilty pleasure without having quite as much guilt. It is not as difficult as some might think to make great tasting organic breads. Of course, one can modify how much or little organic ingredients they would like to use; however, I highly recommend at least using organic flour, shortening, sugar, and eggs. You can also use regular organic milk in place of the almond milk, but I prefer the almond milk. To keep costs down, I buy my organic ingredients at Publix or Target, and during the holiday season I have found bulk bags of organic sugar at Costco.
- 1 3/4 Cups Organic All-Purpose Flour, King Arthur's is Great
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Organic All Vegetable Shortening, I use Spectrum Brand
- 2 Organic Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Cup Ripe Organic Bananas Mashed
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Walnuts
- Stir together four, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then set aside.
- With electric mixer beat sugar and shortening until light. Add eggs, one at a time, and then the milk. Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Add flour mix and banana alternately to the creamed mixture. Beat until smooth after each addition. Fold in the 1/4 cup nuts.
- Lightly grease (I use olive oil spray but you can use the shortening just as well) a bread loaf pan. Pour batter into the pan. Sprinkle the top with the finely chopped walnuts.
- Bake from 60 - 65 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan for further cooling.
- Publix: Where Shopping Truly Is A Pleasure
Grocery shopping isn't always fun or easy. Here are reasons why I think Publix is the best choice when it comes time to go food shopping.