Yummy Macaroni and Cheese
Every Kid's Favourite Food
Macaroni and cheese seems like the symbol of childhood for me, especially as an American. To me, mac n' cheese (other than perhaps hamburgers and french fries), is one of the few foods that exudes the whole feeling of being 'Americana'. Maybe its because I grew up watching Kraft commercials for the blue box macaroni and cheese that is the 'Cheesiest'. I first started off with the boxed stuff that, as a child I enjoyed, naively believing that the bright orange powder was 100% cheese. Soon as I grew, my taste buds did, and boxed mac n' cheese, while still somewhat appetizing, didn't really impress me much. I quickly found a homemade recipe to my childhood craving, and made my own version of it, realizing how easy it is to make! Either way, as a child and now as an adult, I've always loved this simple dish and find it to be my favourite comfort food ever. This is a very simple recipe that you can make with your kids and enjoy.
- 250g macaroni, cooked
- 1tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 300ml milk
- 250g Gouda cheese (or Cheddar), grated
- 1/2 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Begin by sauteing the onions and butter in a saucepan. Once the onions appear to be translucent, add flour. This is the roux. Incorporate the flour so that a light brown paste is created.
- Add the milk and lower the heat so that it simmers. Once it comes to a boil, then add the cheese. Once the cheese melts, remove the sauce from heat and add the cooked macaroni; mix it well.
- You could eat it immediately off the stove, however I personally like it baked. If you liked it baked, take the macaroni and cheese mixture and put it in a baking dish. Add additional cheese on top.Bake at 180C for 20 minutes. Enjoy!