How to make Easy, Zesty Homemade Italian Stuffed Green Peppers
Here is my recipe for these zesty homemade stuffed Green Peppers that will add a little punch and favor to this popular entree. This recipe has been a favorite in our Italian family for years and is worth a try if you enjoy Stuffed Bell Peppers.
It's a great, fresh tasting dinner that will goes nice with a glass of good red wine.
Try it and Enjoy...
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 4-6 cloves Fresh Garlic, Finely chopped
- 1 10 ounce can diced chilie Tomatoes
- 2 to 4 Large Green Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup Italain Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbs Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Shredded Asiago or Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 2 stalks Celery, Chopped
- 1 pound Ground Beef or Turkey, Grounded
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh Parsley, chopped
- Cut tops off of 2 to 4 Green Peppers and remove the seeds from inside the peppers so they can be stuffed later. In a large pot of boiling water add the peppers and cook for 4-6 minutes. Drain water and set the peppers aside to stuff later.
- Cook Onions, Garlic in Olive Oil in fry pan until soft(2-4 minutes).
- Add 1 pound of ground beef (or turkey) in fry pan and cook until browned or fully cooked(2-4 minutes). Drain fat after fully cooked.
- Add the drained meat mixture back to the fry pan and add the chopped celery, salt, and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, parsley, meat mixture, bread crumbs, 1/2 can of tomatoes, and cheese . Mix Well. This will be the filling for the Green Peppers.
- Place the blanched peppers in a 8x8 pyrex dish and stuff generously with the rice/meat mixture. If you have any rice/meat mixture remaining, place it in the pyrex bowl with the stuffed peppers.
- Cover the stuffed peppers (and rice/meat mixture)with the remaining 1/2 can of tomatoes and extra cheese. Bake uncovered in an oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.