- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
Zucchini Bread with Walnuts and Raisins
There are many different recipes for zucchini bread. I have been using this one for so many years that I don't even remember where or who I got it from. It has a lot of different textures in it from crunchy because of the nuts to chewy from the raisins and of course the cake part itself. It makes it all so very delicious. It doesn't even need icing or a glaze on top, therefore eliminating extra sugar and calories.
Why they call it a bread I don't know, To me, it more of a cake, but maybe because it's baked in bread pans. So you could call it a sweet bread. This recipe makes 2 loaves so there times when I baked it in a Bundt pan, making it a cake.
One thing I love about these breads or other breads like banana bread or apple bread is you can just mix everything all together. You don't need your mixer or have to mix ingredients in stages like you do with certain cakes. They are rustic and are made in a rustic fashion. That is why you can make breads in muffin pans and turn them into muffins.
I have done that when I didn't have the time to let it bake in the oven for nearly an hour. Hope you try this simple recipe, I'm sure you'll like it.
Tips About the Oil and Juice
When I read the original recipe many years ago it called for 1 whole cup of oil. I thought that was too much so I used 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of orange juice. You can certainly use the whole cup of oil if you want to.
Also if you would like to change the orange juice to pineapple or apple juice, that will be just as good.
Photos of Zucchini Bread with Walnuts and Raisins
If you like cream cheese the whipped type is really great on a slice of this zucchini bread. I say whipped because it's easy to spread, the original cream cheese breaks it apart.
Jelly or jam or preserves are also good toppings. If you are not concerned with cholesterol then butter is too.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and water squeezed out of it
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 loaf pans or spray with baking spray or non stick spray
- In a large bowl add the eggs, oil, orange juice and sugar. Beat with a whisk till all is mixed together. Add the zucchini and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon till it's all mixed together.
- Pour even amounts into your prepared pans and bake for at least 50 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Turn them out onto cooling wracks (if you have them) to cool. If not, then just onto a pan or aluminum foil. Enjoy!