Zucchini Chocolate Cake
Ready to Serve: Zucchini Chocolate Cake
Please Rate This Recipe!
Over Productive Garden
Zucchini Zucchini Zucchini
This may come across as complaining, but my husband's garden is always producing too many vegetables! I mentioned to him that it might be better if he just grew one plant of each type, so we would not get stuck with more vegetables than we can use up!
Right now, it is the zucchini that keeps producing. I love zucchini, but how many times a week can you expect to make zucchini? I only had two recipes for cooking my zucchini: fried or stewed with corn -- a dish called "Calabacitas" in Spanish.
My Search for a New Zucchini Recipe
We had about ten zucchinis in the refrigerator, and this amount was growing daily. Every morning here comes Jerry bringing in the new crops from the garden: 3 large zucchinis and some tomatoes. The tomatoes are not a problem: we use them for making pasta sauce. But how will we use up the zucchini before it goes bad?
Search is Over!
It did not take very long to find a zucchini recipe that sounded good and used up some zucchini. I first tried a regular zucchini cake. It was okay, but the kids did not even try it.
I finally found the recipe! It is called, "Chocolate Zucchini Cake", but I changed its name to "Zucchini Chocolate Cake" for better search results. (Besides, the zucchini in this recipe is in larger proportion to the cocoa powder in the recipe.)
Estimated Cook Time for Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups Flour, All-Purpose
- 1 cup Sugar, Granulated
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, Iodized
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon, Ground
- 4 Eggs, Large
- 1-1/2 cups Vegetable Oil
- 3 cups Zucchini, Grated
- 3/4 cup Walnuts, Chopped
The Dry Ingredients
Dry Ingredients After Mixing Well
Instructions for Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (176 C). Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients (except the walnuts): flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix the dry ingredients together well.
- Add the vegetable oil to the dry ingredients, and mix everything until smooth.
- Now add the eggs to the other ingredients in the bowl. Make sure everything is blended well.
- Next, add the zucchini and walnuts to the mix, stirring until all is well mixed. The dough will be fairly stiff.
- Pour and/or scrape the mixture into prepared baking pan. Push the batter into the corners and spread the mix evenly over the baking pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- May be served with or without frosting. Cool completely before frosting. Cream cheese frosting is recommended for this type of cake.
The Cake Batter is Ready
Nutritional Values for Zucchini Chocolate Cake
|Serving size: 1/24|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 17 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 35 mg||12%|
|Sodium 165 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Please Watch These Selected Videos
Here are a few recipe videos with different versions of Zucchini Chocolate Cake. I even posted one video that makes Zucchini Chocolate Cake without sugar, and even another video recipe that excludes gluten, grain, and even dairy products!
After you finish watching the videos and reading this, please take a moment to write a short comment at the end of this page.
Cuisinart Boxed Grater
Cuisinart’s CTG-00-BG Boxed Grater is well constructed with 4 sides to grate, shred or slice vegetables or cheese. Nothing beats the old boxed standard for quick processing of vegetables without electricity! Cuisinart’s Boxed Grater is made of stainless steel, so it will not rust. This boxed grater comes complete with an attractive plastic black handle for ease of use. Get yours today!
This One is SUGAR FREE!
Superfood Zucchini: What's in it For Me?
Zucchini is a type of summer squash, and is a superfood of nutrition.
You probably wonder how much 3 cups of shredded zucchini provides, in the form of nutrition?
Based on the USDA Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) of 2,000 calories, 3 cups of shredded zucchini provides:
- 60 calories
- 6 grams of fat
- No cholesterol
- 37 milligrams of sodium (low-sodium)
- 975 milligrams of potassium
- 12 grams of carbohydrates
- 4 grams of dietary fiber
- 6 grams of sugars
- 4.5 grams of protein
- 15% Vitamin A
- 6% Calcium
- 105% Vitamin C
- 7% Iron
Looking at this in a different way, zucchini's calorie composition is:
- 75% Carbohydrates
- 16% Protein
- 9% Fats
So, as you can see, 3 cups of shredded zucchini adds quite a bit of nourishment to your diet!
My advice: Eat more zucchini!
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free
Please Take This Quick Poll
How much Vitamin C does 3 cups of shredded zucchini have?
© 2016 Miriam Parker