Zucchini Frittata And Zucchini Pizza
Potato and Zucchini Frittata
Frittatas are becoming very popular. You can put almost anything in them. Eggs are a must but you can go in your vegetable drawer and use up what you have. Also whatever cheese you like.
I found this recipe in the Food network website. I did alter it a little because I believe you can make any recipe your own. Everyone has different likes and some people may have food allergies or intolerances to certain foods. So go through the recipe you like and change what you need to change.
In this recipe it called for cilantro but I don't like the taste of it so I opted for fresh Italian parsley. It also called for hot sauce which my husband can't tolerate so I left that out and used fresh ground black pepper and it called for queso fresco but I used grated cheddar cheese.
It sounds like a lot of changes but it's not really. This recipe is good for breakfast or lunch or dinner. Also for brunch. I made this one for dinner and pared it with a fresh tomato and cucumber salad. The cucumbers are from our garden also just like the zucchini.
That's why frittatas are so popular, you can eat them just about anytime and use ingredients you and your family love. So give it a try and enjoy!
- 1 white potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsley chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, grated and squeezed till the all of the water is out of it.
- 1/2 cup or more if you like cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Bring the potatoes with enough cold water to cover to a boil. Cook over medium high heat, until the potatoes ar tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and pat dry. (very important).
- Whisk together the eggs, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Preheat the oven boiler to medium-high heat.
- Heat the oil in a medium ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 6 minutes more. Add the cooked potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to brown slightly, abut 4 minutes more.
- Evenly pour the egg mixture over the vegetable mixture. Cook, over medium heat, tilting the pan and lift the edges with a spatula to et the uncooked egg flow underneath. Sprinkle with the cheese and the bacon. Broil 5 to 7 inches from the heat, until the eggs puff and are just set and the cheese in golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove carefully to a plate, or serve in wedges directly from the skillet.
|Serving size: 1/4 of the frittata|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 240 mg||80%|
|Sodium 985 mg||41%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Tomato and Cucumber Side Salad
A nice summer salad and so simple is tomato and cucumber tossed with a little olive oil and a little of your favorite vinegar, salt and pepper and of course chopped basil.
It's also nice when you have them growing in your garden. My garden is shown below.
Photos of Zucchini Pizza
How To Make Zucchini Pizza
The recipe called for Pillsbury Crescent roll dough; but I used my own pizza dough (recipe follows). If using crescent dough, press seams together in prepared pan. I sprayed non stick spray on mine. If using pizza dough, just spread the dough out to fit the pan. If you follow the recipe right you should be able to spread it with your fingers.
Slice one large or two smaller zucchini in thin slices and slice a medium slice onion (or chop if you prefer) and chopped garlic (1 or 2 cloves) and saute in lightly greased pan. When they are soft spread them on the dough.
I like to prebake my dough first for about 10 minutes in 375 degree oven before spreading the zucchini on it. Slice tomatoes very thin; place them on the zucchini and onion mixture. You can also put very thin sliced pepperoni on if you wish at this point. and bake at 357 for another 10 minutes.
Take the pizza out and spread grated mozzarella cheese all over the top and put it back in the oven until the cheese is melted. Mangiaro Bene!
Basic Pizza Dough
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 table spoons extra virgin olive oil
In a large bowl, combine the yeast with the water, oil and salt. Stir well. Let it sit for 5 minutes and add half of the flour and mix well. Add reaming flour, except 1/2 cup and continue to mix. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 5 to 7 minutes using the remaing flour as needed. Dough should not be sticky.
Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover and let it sit for about an hour or until doubles in size. Divide dough and spread dough on pizza trays sprayed with non stick spray. Let it sit another 10 minutes and bake in oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. It will finish baking after you put it in the oven with the pizza ingredients.
You can cut this recipe in half in you only want one pizza.
Photo of Pizza Dough
© 2020 Rachel L Alba