- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
One of Mama's Favorite Salads
Throughout my childhood my mom would make this salad as a side dish for dinner or a holiday meal. I have always loved her Carrot-Raisin salad, and even more so now that she is no longer with us. Everything about this salad reminds me of her, and not just because she was the one that made it, but because this salad brings back fond memories.
I was about 6 or 7 years old, but I remember helping her in the kitchen. She let me peel the carrots for her, but I was not allowed to grate them until I was a bit older. Isn't it funny how a salad could be attached to so many warm memories?
Not A Family Recipe
I used to think my mom invented this salad because I never saw this salad anywhere else but our kitchen. I had never seen any type of carrot salad at our friends' get-togethers, potlucks, church events, or weddings. So, I started think it was a 'family recipe', or something that was handed down by word-of-mouth; a hand-written recipe card passed down from our ancestors - an heirloom, so to speak.
But now that we have the Internet, I found there are many variations of this raw carrot salad from all over. This salad is my variation of Mama's Carrot-Raisin salad because I've added English Walnuts to her recipe.
Well, this recipe is really tasty and I think you will agree that this is the best Carrot-Raisin-Walnut Salad (Click to Tweet) you have ever had.
A Short Note
After reading about this recipe - or trying it out for yourself - please rate my recipe in the Rate My Recipe section of this hub.
Cuisinart Boxed Grater
Getting Ready to Grate the Carrots
About the Ingredients
Carrot-Raisin-Walnut Salad is a raw vegetable salad. Aside from the mayonnaise, nothing in this salad is processed or needs cooking.
This salad only has a few ingredients. Here is a description of each ingredient excluding the mayonnaise and salt.
- The raisins are used straight from the box, but separate them if they are bunched together in clusters.
- The carrots need to be peeled and grated. The peeling is easy enough, but grating can be tiring. It also takes a few minutes, so if you are in a hurry you should peel and grate the carrots in advance. (Note: I tried to use a little food chopper and a blender on chop mode, but regular hand-grating gives the best results.)
- The walnuts need to be chopped, but you can use larger pieces if you wish. Either use a food chopper or a knife and cutting board (I use a cleaver).
- NOTE: You can chop them however you wish, but if you chop them small they will go further in the salad.
5-Star Nut Chopper
6 oz. Box of Raisins
This Is A Raw Salad
- Prep time: 45 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: Serves 8
Ingredients To Have Ready Before You Start
- one 6-oz. box raisins
- one cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 medium raw carrots, peeled and grated:
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise, or as needed
- Gather all ingredients: A large salad bowl, salad spoon and fork. Put them all on the table that you will be working on. Take out the carrots, walnuts, raisins, light mayonnaise, and salt and place them on the table.
- Use long carrots. If you use small carrots you will have problems grating them (you might grate your fingers). Peel the carrots, and then grate them and put them into the large salad bowl..
- Chop the walnuts, then add them to the grated carrots in the salad bowl.
- Now open the raisins and pour them in the bowl with the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
- Sprinkle about 1/8 teaspoon of salt (or omit it, if you like), then add about 3 or 4 large salad spoons of Best Foods Mayonnaise.
- Mix everything well, being sure to blend the mayonnaise evenly.
- Refrigerate and serve cold as a healthy snack, or use as a picnic salad or side dish for dinner.
- Makes 8 large servings.
Nutritional Content for Carrot-Raisin-Walnut Salad
|Serving size: 1/8 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 17 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|Sodium 17 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Rate My Recipe
You Tube Videos
Here are some videos of other versions of Carrot-Raisin salad.
Even though these videos are preparing different versions of carrot salad recipes, I thought you might find it interesting to see what other people put in their carrot salads.
Vegan Carrot-Raisin Salad
Carrot Raisin Salad Recipe (This recipe is different than mine)
© 2014 Miriam Parker