- Food and Cooking
How to ripen avocados quickly
A banana and a brown paper bag.. that's all it takes to ripen avocados quickly. Some say science, but I think it's magic!
What to do when you live in a cold climate like the UK?
When the sun doesn't shine all year round, when you can't just nip into your garden to pick a ripe avocado from a tree? When the avocados from the supermarket are hard and unripened?
Avocados are one of my favourite things to eat - they're perfect for "lunch in a hurry", to mix into salads, to eat on their own just as a snack and as for Raw food recipes using avocados ... well,it's is a whole new wonderful world. Try googling 'raw recipes with avocado' - you'll be amazed.
But how to ripen them, quickly and easily? Well, take one brown paper bag and one banana ....
Photo taken by me - avo tree in my Dad's garden in Barrydale, South Africa.
Take one paper bag and one banana ...
Ripen your avocado quickly
A little bit about this superfood
Do you still believe the myth that avocados are fattening due to their high fat content?
Good news, it's not true - thank goodness because I'm not giving up eating avocados! This type of fat is actually good for us, a rich source of monounsaturated fats and fruit protein. It's the fats such as hydrogenated vegetable oils in lots of processed foods that can cause health problems.
Apart from all this healthy fat, avocados are a rich source of potassium, vitamins B, K and E and also fibre. And can help lower blood cholesterol levels.
Hmmm - another Superfood!
Avocado Trees - grow your own
Do you live in a sunny climate? I wish I did because I'd get a couple of these - for my health's sake AND what a saving it would make on my weekly grocery bill!
And growing your own Avo trees means you can keep them pesticide free too
Tried and tested
I buy the very hard unripened avocados from the supermarket (much cheaper than the ready-to-eat avos) because my tried and tested method of ripening avocados quickly WORKS!
One paperbag ...
- Brown Paper Bag
- # Put the avos into the brown paper bag (they will ripen pretty much at the same time, so only put into the bag the amount of avos you will eat. We ripen 4 - 8 at a time as they go beautifully with everything we eat in our mostly raw diet - smoothies, starters, salads, desserts, snacks ... )
- # Add 1 banana to the bag.
- # Close the bag, fold it a few times.
- # Use a peg to keep the bag closed.
- # The avos will begin ripening within 2 to 3 days - do keep checking them, as they can get overripe very quickly.
- # When they are ripe, you can keep them in the fridge for a few days - about 4 days at the most as after that they start losing their flavour.
Ripen avocados quickly with a brown paper bag and a banana
Some may say it's science; but I think it's magic!
Evidently, by putting the avocados into a paper bag and closing it up, the ethylene gas the avos produce are kept in the bag and this speeds up the ripening process.
And when you add a banana to this combination, even more ethylene gas is produced, so the ripening process is even faster!
There you have it - natural magic at work!
Once the avocados begin ripening, their colour changes from green to a dark brown-green color and are very slightly soft when gently squeezed.
The banana also changes and becomes mottled and speckled as the days pass.
Read and Research EVERYTHING wisely and widely; then you are able to decide what works for YOU!
Philosophy of Barbs @ Synchronicity House
A box instead of a bag
And, by the way, a cardboard box works just as well which I've used when I haven't had a brown paper bag to hand. But you do need to make sure the lid is properly closed / sealed.
How do you ripen your avocados?
Is it on my list below or do you have another magical way to share with us?
Now try out these deliciously simple health and beauty recipes below using your lovely ripened avocados
Beauty - Face Mask using Avocado
Mash 1/2 an avocado with 1 teaspoon of honey and apply to clean dry skin - leave on for about 15 minutes.
Now is the time to eat the other half of the avo for inner beauty!
Wash your face gently and your skin will feel soft, nourished and have a lovely glow.
A delicious, healthy treat!
Instead of using butter, use mashed avocado.
It's delicious, nutritious and healthier!
BlenditandMendit,com have created a 21 day plan of videos of different morning smoothies with avocados, other fruits, vegetables and salad leaves.
This Video below is Day 1, so inspiring and I'll be watching these to try the recipes out!
Healthy, delicious and nutritious!
Morning Cleansing Green Smoothie
Slices your avocado into perfect slices to decorate a salad beautifully
Lunch in a hurry!
It's quick, it's simple, it's delicious.
It's what I turn to when I want a quick lunch - mashed avocado on toast
Avocado on toast
Mashed Avocado on Toast - quick, simple and easy to make
You could have this for lunch or as a snack if you like.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Slice lightly toasted wholewheat brown bread
- Apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
- Black pepper (optional)
- # Scoop out the inside of the avocado and put into a bowl
- # Add a splash of lemon juice if you like (or blasamic or apple cider vinegar). This is an important tip - only add the tiniest amount as you don't want to overwhelm the avocado flavour!
- # Mash the avocado roughly, then pile it onto the toast,
- # Grind some black pepper over the top.
- # Serve with a lovely fresh salad on the side.
- Then enjoy your quick simple creation.
- Tip - eat immediately as avocado beigins to turn brown when exposed to air. You can use lemon juice to prevent this from happening.
And the Banana you used to ripen your Avos?
Well, why not mash it up and enjoy Banana on Toast ...
Or make Banana Bread ...
Or add to a Green Smoothie ...
Or ... you'll find your own idea for your delicious nutritious Banana!