Irresistible Banana Cream Pie
Welcome to my Banana Recipe
I have been making this delicious dessert for around 30 years. It is quick, easy and contains ingredients you would likely have in your cupboard. Although the muscovado sugar is a healthy alternative (and much nicer in my opinion) to the highly processed white sugar and gives banana cream pie a natural caramel look and a richer taste. The fresh cream on top can be replaced with dream topping or an equivalent powder that can be stored in the cupboard and mixed up with fresh milk when you need it. The digestive biscuits can be replaced with any plain type of butter biscuits or I have even made it with a pastry base. The custard is a cheat's version of egg custard, as you simply throw everything in together, but is better than the blanchmange/custard mixes that you can buy.
So get on your apron and begin the day with making this delicious dessert, which will be better for chilling until you are ready to eat it. At the last minute, there will be no stress- you just take your wonderful banana cream pie from the fridge and serve to the delight of your family and friends.
Enjoy this banana recipe!
- 8 oz (250g) digestive biscuits
- 4 oz (125g) butter
- 1 pint milk
- 2 tablespoons brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 pint whipping cream
- walnut halves to decorate
- Melt butter in a pan, crumb the biscuits and add to the butter. Use to line a shallow 9 inch pie dish. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Stir all other ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When boiled and thickened, leave to cool.
- Once the custard has cooled, slice bananas over the pie base and smooth over the custard. Return to fridge to chill for a few hours.
- Just before serving, whip up cream and use to decorate the top of the banana pie, adding halved walnuts.
Rate Banana Cream Pie
What Are Bananas Made Of?
Bananas (especially raw, as in this recipe) are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium and a good source of dietary fibre, potassium, manganese and vitamins C and B6.
How do you best like eating bananas?
This Banana Pie Recipe Is On These Postcards - Order yours to send to your friends now! Easy!
© 2012 CJoanna