Irresistible Banana Cream Pie
A Banana Recipe
Welcome to my banana recipe, which I have been making for around 30 years. It is quick, easy and delicious and contains ingredients you would normally have in your cupboard. Although the muscovado sugar is a healthy alternative (and much nicer in my opinion) to the highly processed white sugar and gives banana cream pie a natural caramel look and a richer taste. The fresh cream on top can be replaced with dream topping or an equivalent powder that can be stored in the cupboard and mixed up with fresh milk when you need it. The digestive biscuits can be replaced with any plain type of butter biscuits or I have even made it with a pastry base. The custard is a cheat's version of egg custard, as you simply throw everything in together, but is better than the blanchmange/custard mixes that you can buy.
So get on your apron and begin the day with making this delicious dessert, which will be better for chilling until you are ready to eat it. At the last minute, there will be no stress- you just take your wonderful banana cream pie from the fridge and serve to the delight of your family and friends.
Enjoy this banana recipe!
How do you best like eating bananas?
- 8 oz (250g) digestive biscuits
- 4 oz (125g) butter
- 1 pint milk
- 2 tablespoons brown muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 pint whipping cream
- walnut halves to decorate
- Melt butter in a pan, crumb the biscuits and add to the butter. Use to line a shallow 9 inch pie dish. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Stir all other ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When boiled and thickened, leave to cool.
- Once the custard has cooled, slice bananas over the pie base and smooth over the custard. Return to fridge to chill for a few hours.
- Just before serving, whip up cream and use to decorate the top of the banana pie, adding halved walnuts.
What Are Bananas Made Of?
Bananas (especially raw, as in this recipe) are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium and a good source of dietary fibre, potassium, manganese and vitamins C and B6.
Why You Need A Banana Tree - Ripening bananas
As they ripen, bananas give off a gas called ethylene, which can spoil other fruit if stored together. To solve this problem, bananas are best stored separately. This is why banana trees are ideal, as they keep them well away from other fruit.
Store your ripening bananas away from other fruit with these stylish, bestselling banana trees.
Are You Crazy About Banana Cream Pie? - When you've made the banana pie..
Sit down and enjoy a relaxing dinner with your friends.
This candle will set the atmosphere for a delicious meal, culminating in your banana cream pie!