- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
13 Bean and Ham Soup Recipe
Make a Vegetarian Soup From This Recipe
In this soup recipe I used Bob's Red Mill, 13 bean soup mix. If you don't have this on hand other dried or canned beans can be used.
This soup can easily be made into a vegetarian soup by using a vegetable stock rather than the chicken stock and ham bone.
Please note: If you find that your soup is too thick to your liking add more water or broth to the pot.
For those that like a little less spice please cut back on the crushed chili peppers.
Photo source: All photos that you see here in this recipe are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. Do not borrow or copy without getting written permission first.
Dried Soup Mix
- 2 cups of 13 bean soup mix or your choice or dried beans
- 1 ham bone that's a little meaty
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 ribs of celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 - 4 tsp. of chicken broth powder or 2 cubes
- 2 -3 cloves of garlic grated or pressed
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Slap Ya Mama Cajun spice or a hot sauce
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 2 tsp. crushed chili peppers
- 1 soup pot
- a sharp chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups & spoons
- garlic press or a garlic grater
- stove top burner
1. LET'S GET COOKING
The night before you plan on making your soup, measure out two cups of your bean mix into a medium size bowl. Rinse under water and then soak the beans fully covered in water over night.
2. In a soup or stock pot cover the ham bone with water and bring the water to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium high and let cook for 20 minutes. Remove the bone with the meat and let it cool. Once cooled remove all of the meat and set the meat aside. Reserve the liquid.
3. Rinse and drain the beans and set aside.
4. Chop the celery, onion and carrots. Set aside.
5. To the pot of liquid add the chicken broth powder and stir. Now add the celery, onions, and carrots.
6. Add the cut up pieces of ham and the rinsed and drained beans to the pot, and stir.
7. Next add the spices; Slap Ya Mama, ground pepper, thyme, and chili peppers. Next press the garlic into the pot. Stir and bring everything to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer and let cook for 3 hours.