Everyday Bean And Potato Pie
An easy vegetarian recipe
A delicious vegetarian dish for all the family. It's easy to prepare and contains nutritious ingredients that won't cost the earth and are likely to already be in your cupboard, making it a great everyday recipe. The beans and tomotoes combine deliciously with the fluffy cheesy potato topping to make a delicious, filling meal. I use a mixture of sweet potatoes and ordianary ones, but if you miss out the sweet potatoes you might need to add a little milk when mashing them, if they are a bit dry. This is tasty served with peas and sweetcorn or other cooked vegetables of your choice. In fact if you read on, you will find a list of dried bean varieties. You could try replacing the red kidney beans with another variety, although I couldn't guarantee the results!
Photo lensmasters own
A List Of Dried Bean Varieties - Are you hungry to try a new bean?
There are many different varieties of beans, many of which we have probably never heard of before. Vote and add your favourites to this list. Different countries will no doubt have their different favorites. If you like, let us know how you like to cook/eat your favorite dried bean. I will start with the one used in this recipe.
What is your favourite bean?
- 1 1/21 b potaotes
- knob of butter
- 4 oz cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tin peeled tomatoes
- 1 tin red kidney beens
- salt and pepper
- Peel potatoes and cut into pieces before boiling in a pan of water until well cooked.
- Heat oil in saucepan and add the chopped onion. When beginning to soften, drain beans and add to pan with the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for a couple of minutes whilst adding salt and pepper to taste. Mash the mixture a little before placing in a large casserole dish.
- Mash the cooked potato together with butter and add most of the (grated) cheese. Pile on top of the bean mixture and smooth with a fork. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200C or Gas 6 for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve piping hot with cooked vegetables of your choice.
View This Practical Casserole Dish - Essential cookware for your bean and potato pie
The lid makes it easy for transporting or storing.