- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beet and Endive Salad Recipe
The Simple Marriage of Beet Root and Endive
This classic French salad makes for a beautiful table setting as well as a healthy and delicious side dish. The bite of the blue cheese and tartness of the walnuts make a tart contrast to the sweet, earthiness of the beets. The crunchiness of fresh endives contrast the soft texture of the beets. The tarragon brings a refreshing finish.
Beet and endive salad is best in the September and October time frame when the peak season for beets (June-October) and belgian endive (September-May) overlap. However, depending on your location, beets can usually be found year round.
The only time consuming part of this salad is the 45 minutes or so that it takes to roast the beets, but they can be done ahead of time. Otherwise, assembly is straightforward and very yummy.
|Serving size: 455g|
|Calories from Fat||225|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 25 g||38%|
|Saturated fat 5 g||25%|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 14 g||56%|
|Protein 14 g||28%|
|Cholesterol 11 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
For the Salad
- 4 medium beets, stems trimmed to one inch
- 4 Belgian endive, chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 tsp chives, minced
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- Wrap the beets individually, loosely in aluminum foil and roast on 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until soft in the center when pierced with a fork.
- While the beets are still warm, you can rub off the peel. I recommend using gloves to keep your hands from turning purple. Set aside and let cool.
- When the beets are cooled, loosely chop them and combine the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss. Serve.
How Not to Screw It Up
- The beets can be roasted ahead of time and set aside for several days.
- The easiest way to peel the beets is immediately after pulling them from the oven. I use those thick rubber dishwashing gloves to protect my hands from the hot beets as well as the juice--which will stain whatever it touches. Simply rub the peel off the beet while their still hot. Easy.
- It's worth the time to toast the walnuts. They are much, much nuttier and much, much less acidic. Five to ten minutes on 350 degrees is all it takes.