Make Great Meatballs for Dinner
This meatball recipe is full of flavor and is perfect for spaghetti, homemade meatball subs, or as an appetizer. This is an easy recipe that anyone can make, it's only requires mixing the ingredients, rolling the meatballs, and baking for 30 minutes.
So read on for how to make the best meatballs ever!
History of the Recipe
I love to cook and experiment. A couple years ago I learned to make basic meatballs with ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, and milk. It was okay but nothing special so I started playing with it.
Very quickly I found out that cooking the meatballs on the stove in a saucepan like the recipe stated was wrong. The meatballs stuck to the pan, sometimes burned a little, and broke apart when I moved them around to keep them from burning. So instead I decided that since many of the ingredients were similar to meatloaf that I could cook them in the oven like meatloaf just for a much shorter amount of time. It worked beautifully! Nicely formed meatballs with no burned spots.
First thing to go was milk, I'm lactose intolerant and while I can handle a hard cheese like Parmesan milk even in small amounts is out of the question. First I substituted just beef broth, then replaced half the beef broth with red wine. Then I added Italian herbs and garlic. It was getting better.
The thing that made it though was replacing half the bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese. Pure meatball heaven.
- 2 lbs Ground Beef or Turkey
- 1/2 Cup Dry Bread Crumbs or 1 Cup Fresh Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine *Never use cooking wine, the rule is if you wouldn't drink it you shouldn't cook wi
- 1/4 Cup Beef Broth or Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Crushed Large Clove Garlic
- 1 Tsp Parsley
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1 Tsp Basil
- 1 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Tbs Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Mix ground meat, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, herbs, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix wine, eggs, and the broth or milk together thoroughly in a small bowl and add to the meat mixture.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Form meat mixture into golf ball sized balls and place in rows in the cake pan. An ice cream scoop can be used to evenly measure out the mixture.
- Bake in oven at 375F for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Makes roughly 2 dozen meatballs.
For Pasta: Mix meatballs into marinara sauce about 5 minutes before serving. Serve over pasta of your choice, I recommend whole wheat pasta not only is it healthier is has a heartier taste that goes well with the meatballs.
For Subs: Place meatballs into sauce pan and pour just enough marinara sauce over the top to cover the meatballs, cook over medium heat until sauce is hot. Spoon meatballs into sub rolls, sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and toast in an oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes.
Appetizer: Simmer in a crock pot with sauce of your choice until thoroughly heated. If guests are serving themselves leave the crock pot on warm.
Rate this Recipe
More Meatball Recipes
- The Best Meatballs You'll Ever Have
Very tasty meatballs full of spice and sauteed to perfection. I usually serve mine with spaghetti, but I've also served them with a BBQ sauce and rice on the side.
- Anthony's Pasta Sauce and Meatballs Recipe! Secret Family Recipe for Spaghetti Sauce, Meatballs and
Secret Family Recipe for Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs just like Grandma used to make! Very detailed instructions on how to cook it! You will also find here a recipe for Braciole and much more!
- Greek Meatballs Recipe | Simply Recipes
Greek meatballs recipe made with spicy lamb and pork meatballs, mint, jalapeno, garlic, shallots, orange zest, and Greek yogurt for dipping.
- Danish Meatballs with Dill Sauce
This is a very tasty, but unique, meatball recipe perfect for holiday parties. For some reason, men love these!
- Big Spicy Meatballs Recipe | Beef | Quick, Delicious, Easy Recipes : RealSimple.com
Get quick, delicious, easy-to-prepare recipes from Real Simple magazine. Search the more than 1,000 free recipes for chicken, beef, or salmon; Mexican, Chinese or Italian; low-fat, low-carb, or kid-friendly; and more.
- Cooks.com - Recipe - Good And Spicy Meatballs
Good And Spicy Meatballs
- Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs Recipe | Recipezaar
Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs
- Vegetarian Meat Balls Recipe - Chinese No Meat Balls Recipe - a Chinese Recipe for Vegetarian Meatba
Vegetarian Meatballs - Beef flavored soy crumbles make a convenient substitute for ground beef in this party appetizer recipe from the Soyfoods.com web site.