- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Blender pesto sauce
Pesto sauce is one of those magic ingredients that makes almost anything taste better. Making your own pesto sauce is the way to go. It's fast, easy and you don't need a food processor. A simple blender will get the job done but there is a trick to it.
With a food processor you can dump all the ingredients in whole at the same time. But using a blender you need to prepare the ingredients separately before combining them. The most important thing is to get the leaves blended first with a little water before adding the other ingredients, especially the olive oil. If olive oil gets overblended it can impart a slightly bitter taste to the finished sauce.
I also recommend growing your own basil. There's nothing more satisfying than picking fresh basil from your garden and turning it into a delicious sauce in just minutes.
Here are some of my favorite ways to use homemade pesto sauce:
- Add it to a basic vinaigrette for salads or as a marinade
- Make pesto mayonnaise (half pesto, half mayonnaise). Great on sandwiches.
- Put some in homemade soup
- Make a compound butter with pesto for bread or a seared steak
- Combine pesto with pasta and cooked chicken or turkey
- Make pizza using pesto sauce instead of marinara sauce
- Put some on scrambled eggs
Prep Time: 15
Total Time: 20
Serves: 6 to 8
Blender pesto sauce recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, chopped
- 3 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Put the basil leaves and the water in the blender. Blend until the basil turns into a paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend for a few seconds.