- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Broccoli Slaw Salad With Olive Oil Red Wine Vinegar Dressing
Salads are always on the menu at my house as all of us enjoy them. One of my favorite things to do when it comes to cooking is to creative food that I know everyone will like.
Broccoli slaw is not only healthy but can be used to accompany just about any type of food. There are many ways to make this slaw as well as a variety of dressings you can use.
Whenever I've made this salad before I've always used the prepackaged store bought slaw. Finding it a little expensive I decided to make it myself using the stocks of the broccoli.
All photos in this article are the property of the author Susan Zutautas. If you'd like to use them please contact me before doing so.
My dogs love broccoli
I thought that this would be a great way to introduce one of my two Newfoundland dogs to you. Normally when I'm making broccoli my dogs get very excited because they know they'll be getting a piece of the stock. Poor Bruce today was waiting for his stock. You can see he's anticipating it from the drool coming out of his mouth.
They also love zucchini, romaine lettuce, and carrots. Whenever I run out of dog cookies, I can always look in the fridge to see what I have to give them.
I find with any recipe I make it is easier to have all of your ingredients out and on your counter ready to go.
- 3 good sized stalks of broccoli peeled
- and grated
- 2 carrots peeled
- and grated
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of diced sweet onion
- 1 - 2 ribs of celery chopped
- radishes for garnish
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. of thyme
- 1/4 tsp. of sea salt (table salt can be used)
- fresh ground pepper
- garlic powder (use according to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice (I used the type from the plastic lemons)
Let's Get Tossing - Instructions for creating the Broccoli Slaw Salad
- Gather all the ingredients needed, wash and prepare the vegetables.
- Start by grating the stocks of broccoli and add to a medium size mixing bowl.
- Grate the carrots and add on top of the grated broccoli. The extra carrots and broccoli stalks that were left over and too hard to grate, I chopped up and added them to the bowl as well. I hate to waste anything.
- Add the chopped onions and celery, mixing and tossing. At this point cover the bowl and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and spices.
- Add the dressing to the slaw salad mixing really well. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let all the flavors soak in.
- Before serving add a few radishes for garnish, or some of the broccoli flower heads. This is optional.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Preparing the Broccoli
Preparing the carrots, onions and celery
Broccoli Slaw Salad
Summertime and Salads
Salads are great all year round but in the summertime is when you can buy or grow your own fresh delicious vegetables. Many nights we will have two or three salads for dinner, especially in July when the temperatures tend to soar.
Going on picnics, and taking along salads with other goodies is such a great way to spend any Summer's day.