Butternut Squash Soup - Quick and Easy Recipe
You'll Love this Nutritious Butternut Squash Soup
This Butternut Squash Soup recipe is healthy, and very quick and easy to prepare, so it is suitable for beginners. As it is really a butternut squash puree soup, you will need a food processor, blender or juicer to make it properly.
Butternut Squash Soup Stored in a Pot
Butternut Squash Soup has a spicy and slightly sweet flavor and you can serve it hot, lukewarm or cold
You can even garnish your butternut squash soup with a dash of cream or yoghourt.
The vegetable has an outer skin which is hard, but nevertheless you can peel it quite easily. Inside, you will find that the pith is a pale orange colour, which turns to a darker rich orange colour as it ripens. There is also a hollow area inside the butternut squash which contains the seeds or pips, which you will need to remove before cooking.
To avoid confusion, note that In New Zealand and Australia, butternut squash may also be called butternut pumpkin.
Butternut Squash or Cucurbita Moschata
This is How I Discovered Butternut Squash Soup
(Skip this paragraph if you want to get straight to the point!)
Not so long ago, my brother gave me a butternut squash when I visited him. I wasn't too sure what to do with it, and left it lying around for a couple of weeks, intending to look up a recipe. I didn't get round to it and eventually I asked my sister how to cook it, as it is popular in Southern Africa, where she used to live. Her immediate and enthusiastic answer was to tell me how to make this simple butternut squash soup, which she assured me was scrumptious. I wasn't all that keen on trying it out, because she had told me that it was slightly sweet, but as it sounded easy, I thought I'd take a chance, shaping it to my own creative style. It turned out to be very successful.
Butternut Squash Soup is Nutritious
Butternut Squash contains:
- vitamin A,
- vitamin C,
- vitamin E,
- potassium and
Timing for Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Ready in: 20 min
Yields: 4 Portions of Butternut Squash Soup
Equipment for making Butternut Squash Soup
Assemble the Equipment and Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup Before you Start
- Medium-sized Saucepan
- Kitchen Knife
- Potato Peeler
- Tablespoon/Wooden Spoon
- Chopping Board
- Blender or Food Processor
These are the Ingredients For Butternut Squash Soup
Assemble the Ingredients before you start
INGREDIENTS: BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- 1 Butternut Squash
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 tablespoonful Olive Oil or Butter, Olive oil is healthier but butter tastes nicer
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice, Fresh or from a packet. 1/2 cup = 150 ml. or 1/4 pint
- 1 small pinch of Sweet Chilli Flakes (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoonful of Grated Nutmeg or Nutmeg Powder
- 1 Clove
- 1/2 teaspoonful of Turmeric, Optional
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 1 teaspoonful of Crushed Ginger, fresh, bottled or frozen (or 1/3 teaspoon of powdered ginger)
NB: Precise amounts are not particularly important for this recipe, so you can add more or less or vary the ingredients
Diced Butternut Squash Cooking in the Pot
Method for Quick and Easy Butternut Squash Soup
This slightly sweet soup will be ready in no time at all
1. Peel and chop the onion. Put the olive oil or butter in the saucepan, add the onion and fry it gently on a low heat to soften it (called "sweating"). Don't let it go brown and crispy.
Then, whilst the onion is cooking:
2. Peel the butternut squash with your potato peeler and cut it into chunks. Then add it to the onions in the saucepan and add all the spices. Cook the mixture and stir for 2 - 3 minutes on a low heat. Then add 2 cups of water, bring to the boil and simmer until the butternut squash is soft (10 - 15 minutes). Whilst it is cooking, add the orange juice and chicken stock cube. Then puree the soup in a blender or food processor and return it to the saucepan.
3. Add a little more water to make up the required quantity of soup. Butternut Squash Soup can be served hot for a deliciously comforting slightly sweet soup or served lukewarm or cold as a refreshing summer soup.
4 For an optional garnish, you could add a swirl of cream, plain thick yogurt or creme fraishe after you have served out the butternut squash soup into bowls, or you could sprinkle a small amount of aromatic fresh green herbs on the top.
Dedicated to my Mother Who Would Have Loved my Butternut Squash Soup - The painting is by her Grandson
If you are elderly or a bit infirm and delicate, or losing your teeth, soup is a particularly good way of getting your nourishment in a digestible way.
If you really like soup, you would enjoy the recipes in the book below.
They all relate to soup, and nothing but soup, so you should be able to get some good ideas for pepping up your soup repertoire.
If you Like Soup, You'll Love This Soup Recipe Book
Numerous soup recipes - the best of New England, some very imaginative, using unusual ingredients. Very good reviews
Did you know about Butternut Squash before? - Take The Poll Below
Did you think it might be difficult to cook with, or taste strange?
Were you fascinated when you saw its beautiful shape at the greengrocers or market?
Have you ever cooked butternut squash?
Whilst You're Making Soup, You Need an Apron to Stay Clean
And When You Shop for Your Butternut Squash, You Could Use This Bag - Five Hungry Babies in a Row
Some More Unusual Vegetables - Be bold - try them once, and then, if you aren't impressed, at least you know a bit more than you did before
- All About Kholrabi - What is Kholrabi, How to Grow Kholrabi and How to Prepare
Kholrabi is a pale green bulbous vegetable with a mild flavour. Here is some information about this more unusual vegetable, as well as telling you how to prepare and cook it.
- All About Breadfruit - What is Breadfruit, How Breadfruit Grows and How to Prepare Breadfruit
Breadfruit is a large melon-like vegetable, pale in colour, and mild in flavour. It tends to absorb the flavors of the food it is cooked in, and the texture when cooked is a bit like potato
I love to get feedback (no pun intended)
It's so nice to hear from people all round the world so do comment below -