Cabbage Soup Recipe
A Recipe for Cabbage Soup
This cabbage soup recipe arose on a chilly autumn afternoon while I was looking for ways to use the ingredients in my refrigerator. I came up with a hearty cabbage soup that won rave reviews and will be made again and again.
This is a gluten free and dairy free recipe. The ingredients are high sulfur, and appropriate for those looking for a detoxifying soup. I believe this soup is appropriate for the Wahls diet protocol or a paleolithic diet.
A few modifications are listed after the recipe if you have no problems with gluten or dairy and would like to include these ingredients.
- 1 lb. organic grass-fed ground beef
- 6 oz. organic button or baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large organic yellow onion
- 1 head organic cabbage
- 5 cloves chopped garlic
- water or beef stock or vegetable stock
- up to 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 2 organic bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon organic basil
- freshly grated black pepper
- other herbs as desired such as fresh chopped dill
- 1. Brown ground beef over medium heat with chopped mushrooms and sliced onion in the bottom of a large stock pot or dutch oven until meat is browned and onion is transparent. Add water or coconut oil, if needed, to prevent sticking.
- 2. Chop cabbage and add to pot with garlic. Cover with water or stock. Bone soup may be used, if you have it. Simmer until cabbage is soft.
- 3. Season as desired using the suggested seasonings or whatever you have on hand. The amount of salt and other seasonings will depend on your taste, as well as the saltiness of your stock. If using water you will need to add more salt or your soup will taste very bland.
- 4. Serve piping hot. Drizzle each serving with some organic olive oil and sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
- If gluten is not an issue, add a handful of barley with the cabbage.
- If dairy is not an issue, substitute freshly grated parmesan cheese for the nutritional yeast.
Cabbage Soup Poll
Are you on a special diet?
Some Ingredients for Cabbage Soup
Did you like this recipe? Do you think you will make this cabbage soup? Why or why not? If you make it, please come back and tell us how you liked it!