Great Soup for a Winter Meal.
I love a hot bowl of soup on a winters evening and this hearty cheeseburger soup is just the soup to fit the bill. The soup in this lens is a recipe that a friend gave me several years ago and I have altered it to fit my family's taste.
I use ground turkey for the meat most of the time and I also use lowfat milk and cheese to try to keep it healthy. We love a mug of this soup for lunch and many times we'll add a salad and have it for our main meal in the evening. It is one of my husbands favorites soups.
photo of soup in my favorite mug
Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
This is a great soup for dinner. Just add a salad and perhaps some bread and you have a good meal. I sometimes make this soup ahead of time and put in a covered bowl until it is time to eat. I then ladle a cup of the soup in my favorite mug and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- 3/4 pound ground beef or turkey
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 oz. Process American Cheese ( I used Velvetta)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a 3 qt. saucepan, brown meat, drain and set aside. In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 Tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender. About 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and meat and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour, cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
Soup mugs are great for serving your cheeseburger souup.
I love having my soup in a mug...makes it good to the last drop.
Here is the original recipe I received from my friend in my favorite recipe holder. You can see that it has been used a lot over the years.
My Time Saving Tips
Here is what works best for me.
- First of all I put the recipe in my recipe clip so it is always right in front of me.
- When I make the soup I first start the meat to brown.
- While it is browning I chop the onions, carrots and celery.
- When the vegetables are simmering I chop up the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are cooking I get the cheese, milk, salt and pepper in a measuring cup ready to add to the soup.
Tupperware Soup Mugs
Handy tupperware soup mugs.
These would be great to take soup to work.
Everybody Loves Soup
Soup is a favorite of many people. Vote here for your favorite kind.
What is your favorite soup?
Corning Ware Soup Mug
This mug will keep your soup nice and hot!