Chicken and Biscuits with Gravy
I love all things chicken. It's a great meat that is healthy and versatile. But when it comes to slashing my grocery budget, chicken is the first meat I call into question.
My money saving fix? Only purchase whole chickens. The price is usually much better and I am able to stretch a simple five pound bird into seven healthy and homemade meals for my family!
Here is an easy recipe that is sure to stretch any cut of chicken: Chicken and Biscuits with Gravy.
- 3 c. flour (all-purpose or whole wheat)
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 t. salt
- 3/4 t. cream of tartar
- 3/4 c. butter (softened) or shortening
- 1-1/4 c. milk
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tartar in a large bowl.
3. Cut in butter/shortening with a pastry blender or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Make a well in the center and add the milk all at once. Stir just until moistened (will be lumpy).
5. Drop the dough in large spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Makes about 12 biscuits.
Chicken and Gravy
- 2 T. butter
- 2 T. flour
- 1-1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1 t. salt
- 1/8 t. black pepper
- 1/2 c. chopped mushrooms
Note: If using meat from a whole chicken, be sure to cook the chicken first. Light and dark meat will both work for this recipe.
1. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
2. Whisk in flour and immediately add chicken chicken broth.
3. Continue cooking over medium-high heat, whisking often, until thick and bubbly.
4. Stir in chicken and mushrooms and cook until heated through.
5. Serve chicken and gravy over biscuits.
This recipe makes about 6-8 servings.