Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Style-Quick and Easy Chicken Soup from Scratch
This is a chicken soup recipe handed down for generations. I remember my Mama, (southern for grandma) cooking this recipe, when she would come, and stay with us for a while. I now cook this soup for my children, and one day, will probably make it for my grand children. It takes a little time, but is well worth the effort. As the soup simmers, the broth thickens, giving it a unique flavor. A wonderful concoction for the flu, or a cold, I think it actually is medicinal.
- 2-4 chicken breast tenders, raw- boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon vegtable oil, coconut
- 1 box chicken stock, swanson-low sodium
- 1-2 small baby carrots, shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 can biscuits, pillsbury
- pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch garlic powder, to taste
- Saute chicken, celery, carrots,and onion in 1 tablespoon of vegtable oil, in a large stock pot. I prefer coconut oil. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, and vegtables are tender. Add 1 box of chicken stock. Bring to a boil. As soup simmers, roll out each buscuit on a lightly, floured surface. Cut each into noodle size pieces. Drop 1 at a time into soup base, soup must be boiling, or they will fall to bottom of pan. When all dumplings are in the broth, lower the flame to medium, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until dumplings are no longer doughy. The broth will thicken as it cooks.
- Serve with grilled cheese, bacon, lettuce, and tomato, or crusty bread. Wonderful on a cold winter day.
- It can also be kept warm in a crock pot.
- artist101 on HubPages
I worked in a pharmacy for many years. I saw and read what prescriptions did to my customers. At the time, in my young mind, I didn't understand...
- Semi-Homemade Cooking : Sandra Lee : Food Network
Sandra Lee shares her techniques for combining fresh ingredients with specially selected store-bought items. The result mouthwatering meals and desserts, prepared in minutes, that taste like they were made from scratch.
- Recipes, Home Cooking and Decorating — Pauladeen.com