Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe
Prince William's Favorite Chocolate Biscuit Cake
According to the official royal wedding website, It appears that there will be not one, but two cakes at the upcoming Royal Wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton.
Kate's choice is a multi-tiered traditional fruit cake. William's choice of a Chocolate Biscuit Cake as a Groom's cake has sent people (including yours truly) in search of recipes on the Internet. The chocolate biscuit cake to be made by McVitie's sounds much better than the fruitcake that Kate has chosen.
This chocoholic was interested in what went into such a special cake. I searched for a recipe to make one for my family, who love McVitie's biscuits and digestives, especially the chocolate ones. Plus my daughters have birthdays this month and have wanted a refrigerated/frozen cake. This cake sounds a bit like a chocolate covered digestive and a bit like a very rich candy bar. Be aware, Abegail Joyce Sabayo and her family refer to it as an "Evil Biscuit Cake" because it is so calorie dense.
With a bit of searching and sleuthing, I was able to uncover several Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipes and the recipe from Darren McGrady's book that is likely to be the favorite of Prince William. His favorite Chocolate Biscuit Cake is reportedly a family favorite and a Windsor family secret. According to former Palace chef, Darren McGrady, "It is the only cake that returns again and again to the royal tea table each day until it is gone."
Read on to find out more about Queen Elizabeth's and William's favorite chocolate biscuit cake recipe.
Chocolate Hearts by Sachyn
Prince William Favors Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Prince William, known for having a sweet-tooth, has requested his own Groom's cake for his upcoming wedding. His favorite chocolate biscuit cake, one favored since childhood, will be served at the upcoming April 29, 2011 wedding.
The Chocolate Biscuit Cake is a Windsor family favorite. This no bake chocolate cake is made from broken Rich Tea biscuits and dark chocolate and sets up in the refrigerator instead of being baked.
William's Grooms cake will be made by McVitie's following a secret royal recipe.
Reportedly 1,700 crushed Rich Tea biscuits and close to 40 lbs (17 kilos) of dark chocolate will be used to make the special chocolate cake. The groom's cake is a wedding tradition associated with the southern United States.
According to Paul Courtney, McVitie's cake design and development head chef, William's cake "will be decorated with chocolate display work which will be contemporary, modern and elegant." Courtney also noted that 'When Prince William was a young boy he would have it for tea and really enjoyed it.'
One has to wonder, if the Chocolate Biscuit Cake may have also been a favorite of Prince William's mother, Diana and a way of having her present at the wedding.
Image of Rich Tea Biscuits by Leevclarke
Poll on the Royal Wedding Cake Choices
Which Royal Wedding cake would you rather try?
The Groom's Cake
Chocolate Biscuit Cake
The McVities Chocolate Cake - The Official Groom's Cake
The chocolate biscuit cake is made from a Royal Family recipe and was specially requested by Prince William. The chocolate biscuit cake was created by the McVitie's Cake Company.
More on the Official Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- Royal wedding cake: Guests tuck into Prince William's favourite chocolate biscuit cake
Guests at the royal reception indulged in a multi-tiered chocolate biscuit cake at the request of Prince William, who is said to have developed a soft spot for the treat.
- Prince William’s Groom’s Cake: Chocolate, Chocolate & More Chocolate
Being that a groom's cake at a wedding is most traditionally associated with the southern part of the United States, it was a little surprising to hear that Prince William had specially requested to have one at his wedding to Kate Middleton.
- The McVities Chocolate Cake - a set on Flickr
The couple asked McVitie's Cake Company to create a chocolate biscuit cake for the reception at Buckingham Palace.
- Royal Wedding: Menu Of Canapes, Cake And Champagne For Lunchtime Reception At Buckingham Palace | Ro
The chocolate biscuit cake was created by McVitie's Cake Company using a Royal Family recipe at the special request of Prince William.
The chocolate biscuit cake can be made with your favorite tea biscuit-Rich Tea, Maries, digestives, sweetmeal biscuit or graham crackers. To me, It seems more like a chocolate bar treat than a cake.
Experiment make your own favorite this chocolate treat. With or without nuts? Which biscuit to use.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 3 hours 30 min
- Ready in: 4 hours
- Yields: 10 - 12
- 1 1/4 cup (10 oz.) Digestive biscuits (Rich Tea or Marie or graham crackers or Shortbread cookies)
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 cup (8 oz.) dark chocolate cut into small pieces
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) white chocolate cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1/8 cup (1 oz.) chopped hazelnuts or almonds (optional)
- 1. Prepare a cake pan (7 in. x 7 in. square, 8-9 in. round) by lining with parchment paper or greasing the pan or use a silicone pan.
- 2. Crush biscuits into desired pieces (almond-sized or smaller).
- 3. Melt the dark chocolate with the butter in a double boiler. Make your own double boiler by placing in a large bowl sitting in a saucepan of boiling water on a low heat.
- 4. Remove chocolate mixture from heat and add sweetened condensed milk. Stir.
- 5. Add crushed biscuits, white chocolate and nuts. Stir until coated.
- 6. Spoon and spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Keep spreading to smooth out (and get air bubbles out of the bottom - which will become the top of the cake).
- 7. Place in refrigerator for 3 hours or in freezer for 45 minutes to set.To serve lift out (with parchment paper) or pop out (silicone) of pan and cut into small pieces (for portion control).
- Store remaining pieces in refrigerator with parchment paper between pieces (so the cake doe not melt or get sticky).
- Image of Chocolate Squares from Superelle
Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe Ingredients
Cake Rings and Tins
Cake Boxes for Your Chocolate Biscuit Cake
After making your special cake, you may want to put it in special cake boxes.
How to Make a Chocolate Biscuit cake - Video
The Princess Cook shows how to bake another kid-friendly version of a Chocolate Biscuit Cake. This version uses golden syrup and digestives in place of tea biscuits.
Chocolate Biscuit Cake - a Bit like Cookies and Cream Cake
The [chocolate biscuit] cake requires a whack of chocolate, it's an easy-make, no-bake sweet that's long been popular with home bakers in the United Kingdom.
In fact, it's a bit like a British version of a North American cookies-and-cream fridge cake.
Recipes for Chocolate Biscuit Cake
A collection of the Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipes from around the Internet. Also included are several kid-friendly versions.
- No Bake Chocolate Cake Recipe & Photo - Joyofbaking.com *Tested Recipe*
This wonderful chocolate cake is like making your own chocolate bar. Besides its wonderful taste, this recipe is appealing because there is no baking involved and it contains only four ingredients; chocolate, butter, nuts, and digestive biscuits (coo
- Rachel Allen - Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Recipes for March include one for a Chocolate Biscuit Cake.
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake
A Chocolate Biscuit Cake from Cook Rachel Allen.
- How to Make a Chocolate Biscuit Cake: 9 steps - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Make a Chocolate Biscuit Cake.
- Chocolate Whole-Wheat Biscuit Cake - Martha Stewart Recipes
Get Martha Stewart's Chocolate Whole-Wheat Biscuit Cake recipe. Also browse hundreds more test kitchen-approved food recipes and cooking tips from Martha Stewart.
- Prince William’s Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Even Betty Crocker is giving out a Prince William’s Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe.
- Granny’s Chocolate “Biscuit Cake” (no-bake)
Just writing up this one so it doesn't get lost. This was a childhood favourite of my English husband and his siblings from ... and recipes.
- Little Bear Cakery: Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe
This is a recipe that I have adapted from my mum's cookbook. She used to make chocolate biscuit cake decorated with Smarties for all our birthday parties when my brother and I were little.
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake from Epicirious.com
Tis is an amazing no-bake cake best served straight from your refrigerator. Without a doubt, it is the Queen's favorite tea cake.
- Student Recipes - Chocolate biscuit cake! recipe
Recipe for Chocolate Biscuit Cake from StudentRecipes.com
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake | Irish Luxury Chocolates from Butlers Chocolates
A recipe for Chocolate Biscuit Cake from Butlers Chocolates; home of the finest gourmet chocolate gifts for chocolate and candy lovers.
- No Bake Cake Recipes for Kids
These easy no-bake cake recipes serve 2 purposes. First, they are both great to make in the heat of the summer as there is no cooking involved.
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake
The creamy, soft textured and chocolate flavoured biscuit cake is one of the favorite cake recipes to be baked for birthdays and parties. This recipe features raisins (kismis) and walnuts (akhrot).
- Royal Wedding Countdown: Make Your Own Royal Wedding Cake - OK! Magazine - The First for Celebrity N
The royal wedding countdown is on! Follow all the latest royal wedding buzz with OK! magazine's Eloise Parker, who'll be reporting live from London on April 29. 201103
- FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!: A slice of childhood - chocolate biscuit cake
Earlier in the week I was craving something sweet and comforting. A cake of some description was suddenly needed. And needed fast. I threw open the cupboards to look what ingredients were lurking.
- Not on the guest list? Have a royal treat anyway - Winnipeg Free Press
I read with great foodie curiosity that Prince William had requested chocolate biscuit cake, his grandmother's favourite teatime treat, for the upcoming royal wedding. The recipe for the Queen's favourite is adapted from a Canadian Living version tha
The Royal Wedding reception cake - Video
An interview with Paul Courtney, Head Chef, Cake Design and Development at McVitie's from TheRoyalChannel. Chef Courtney talks about plans for making Prince William's reception cake.
Articles on Prince William's Wedding Cake
- Royal Wedding cake designer is announced
Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton have chosen Leicestershire-based cake designer Fiona Cairns to create their wedding cake. The wedding cake will be a multi-tiered traditional fruit cake. The cake, which will be decorated with cream and whi
- BBC News - Royal wedding: William and Kate to have two cakes
The royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton will feature two cakes, it has been revealed.
- Chocolate biscuit cake for Prince William – Eatocracy - CNN.com Blogs
Prince William and bride-to-be Kate Middleton's wedding may be full of all the pomp and ceremony of a traditional British state occasion, but when it comes to their wedding cake they've taken their inspiration from the United States.
- Prince William's favourite chocolate biscuit cake to be alternative Royal Wedding treat - Telegraph
Prince William will indulge his sweet tooth on his wedding day with a chocolate biscuit cake specially made for the event.
- Prince William asks for special wedding cake: Rich Tea biscuits and dark chocolate | Mail Online
Prince William and Kate Middleton have been keeping an eye on costs ahead of their wedding– but they are sparing no expense when it comes to the cake.
- Royal Wedding Cakes Revealed : People.com
A traditional fruitcake and the groom's favorite chocolate-cookie cake will delight guests April 29
- Royal Wedding Cake: Prince William And Kate Middleton Choose Leicestershire Baker Fiona Cairns | UK
Prince William and Kate Middleton have chosen Leicestershire baker Fiona Cairns to make their wedding cake.
- Prince William and Kate Middleton wedding: Prince requests biscuit cake for big day - mirror.co.uk
Prince William will indulge his sweet tooth on his wedding day by tucking into a chocolate biscuit cake specially made for the royal.
- Why William and Kate's choice of cake-maker is causing a stir
It may be the centrepiece of the big day - but Prince William and Kate Middleton's choice of wedding cake has raised eyebrows in fashionable baking quarters. The couple have opted for a multi-tiered fruit cake for the wedding breakfast, decorated wit
- William and Kate ask McVitie's of Stockport to bake royal wedding chocolate cake | Manchester Evenin
The royal treat is being created by McVities's at their site on Wellington Road North to a recipe they have received from chefs at Buckingham Palace's kitchens.
- Prince William Chooses Dallas Chef Darren McGrady's Recipe for His Wedding Cake | SideDish
From 1993 until her death in 1997, Darren McGrady was Princess Diana's personal chef. His first cookbook, Eating Royally, is filled with recipes and remembrances from the palace kitchens. The book is in its fifth printing and all advances and royalti
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake For The Royal Wedding | Nigella.com
I was reading that Prince William has requested a chocolate biscuit cake to be served at his wedding reception. I looked up the recipe and found one on-line.
Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Chocolate Biscuit Cake - Another Version
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 3 hours 30 min
- Ready in: 4 hours
- Yields: 8 - 10
- 1/2 teaspoon butter (omit if using non-stick pans)
- 1 cup (8 oz.) McVities Rich Tea Biscuits crushed
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) dark chocolate
- 1 egg *
- 1 cup (8 oz.) dark chocolate - additional for icing
- 1/8 cup (1 oz.) white chocolate for decorating
- 1. Using the 1/2 teaspoon butter lightly grease a 6 x 2 1/2 inch cake ring or Springform pan or line with parchment paper. (If using a silicone pan, this step can be omitted).
- 2. Place the ring or pan on a parchment-lined tray until needed.
- 3. Break up tea biscuits by hand into largish (almond-sized) pieces. Set aside.
- 4. Mix the butter and sugar together into a bowl until creamy.
- 5. Melt the 4 ounces of dark chocolate in a double boiler.
- 6. Add the butter and sugar mixture to the chocolate and continue to stir.
- 7. Add the egg stirring mixture well.
- 8. Fold in the biscuit pieces carefully into the chocolate mixture, until completely coated with the chocolate-butter-egg mixture. Remove from heat.
- 9. Quickly spoon the chocolate-biscuit mixture into the prepared cake ring. Be sure to fill in any gaps or holes on the bottom of the ring; the bottom will become the top when it is removed from the pan.
- 10. Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- 11. Once chilled, remove the cake from the refrigerator, slide the ring off the cake. Turn the cake upside down onto a cooling rack with covered parchment paper.
- 12. Melt the 8 ounces of dark chocolate; this chocolate will be used for icing.
- 13. Pour this melted dark chocolate over the cake, carefully smoothing the top and sides of the cake using a knife or spatula.
- 14. Allow the chocolate icing to set at room temperature.
- 15. When ready to serve, run a knife around the bottom of the cake to help release. Transfer the cake to a cake dish.
- 16. Melt the 1 ounce of white chocolate; this white chocolate will be used to drizzle contrasting chocolate on the cake icing.Note: * Since this recipe calls for 1 egg, make sure that the mixture is over the heat long enough to cook the egg. Alternatively, you might try substituting 3 tablespoons of egg substitute, which are pasteurized, eliminating the risk of salmonella from raw eggs.
- Image of Chocolate Cake by Nacu
Eating Royally on Amazon
In Eating Royally: Recipes and Remembrances from a Palace Kitchen former palace chef Darren McGrady shares many of the recipes he served the Royals, including Princess Diana.
His recipe for Chocolate Biscuit Cake can be found in this book. Royalties from the book are donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation.
All royalties from the cookbook, Eating Royally are donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation.
Eating Royally on eBay
You can also purchase Eating Royally on eBay
Queen Elizabeth's Favorite Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe
According to the blog post by former palace chef Darren McGrady, his book includes the recipe for the Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipe in his book available (again) on Amazon and eBay. All royalties from Eating Royally are donated to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation. Eating Royally, Recipes and Remembrances from a Palace Kitchen
Abegail Joyce Dabayo on Tastebook gives two Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipes. The first method, adapted from "Eating Royally" book by Darren McGrady, is said to be the favorite cake of Queen Elizabeth, so is likely to be the one served by the Royal Family and enjoyed by Prince William as a child.
- Prince William’s Wedding Cake | Darren McGrady : The Royal Chef
I was thrilled to learn that Prince William had chosen the Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipe that is in my book Eating Royally, recipes and remembrances from a palace kitchen for his wedding cake because Chocolate biscuit cake is also his grand mother's
- Royal Wedding Cake Recipe | Eating Royally Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe
Princess Diana's personal chef Darren McGrady has announced that he holds the key to Prince William's Royal Wedding cake recipe. When many are speculating about the ingredients of Chocolate Biscuit Cake, McGrady offers the true recipe in his cookbook
- Eating Royally: Recipes and Remembrances - Google Books
Darren McGrady began working for the Royal Family as a pastry chef and quickly moved up the ranks to serve as Diana's personal chef until her death in 1997. Here he presents many of the recipes he served the Royals, and Diana in particular. Filled wi
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake Recipe from Abegail Joyce Sabayo
There are two ways to create this wonderful cake. Either methods creates a luscious, and fool-proof indulgent dessert!
McVities Milk Chocolate Digestives
McVities Milk Chocolate Digestives are our family favorites, although the regular digestives are also favorites. Both are eaten as a special treat.
The Chocolate Digestives are also reported to be the favorite of Prime Minister Gordon Brown.
Poll on Biscuits
Which biscuits to you like best?
Chocolate Biscuit Cake - Healthier Versions
The first recipes is in the video clip from Miss Weight Watchers learn how to make a healthier version of the Chocolate Biscuit Cake from March - April 2008 recipe magazine. In this recipe they use shortcake biscuits, low fat margarine, dried cherries, apricots and dried cranberries to make a 2 1/2 points per serving version.
The second recipe comes from En Petit Chef and uses slightly less butter, condensed milk and no eggs.
- Miss Weight Watchers - Chocolate Biscuit Cake
This was so quick to make! I made two lots for a family gathering, everyone enjoyed it and it was a good job I made double because there was nothing left! Yo...
- Chocolate Biscuit Cake | En Petit Chef
This is a most popular cake ever tried by my fellow bloggers. I came across various methods for preparing this cake.Due to health reasons, I modified the recipe using slightly less butter and omitted the eggs. It turns out perfect, really.
Will you be trying Prince William's favorite Chocolate Biscuit Cake?