Chocolate Strawberry Pie For Your Valentine
Bake Your Valentine a Pie of Love
If you like to bake do I ever have a recipe for you on Valentine's Day. Not only is this recipe easy, but it will look like you've created a masterpiece for the love of your life, a true labor of love.
I'd picked up this recipe book called "Baker's Easiest-Ever Chocolate Recipes" about twenty years ago while waiting in line to pay for my groceries. That year for my birthday I wanted a homemade chocolate cake, and the only way I knew I'd get one was if I made it myself. My husband couldn't understand why on earth I'd want a homemade cake over a store bought one. When I was growing up my step-mother would always make homemade cakes. Back then it was almost unheard of to buy one.
Now whenever I am craving something chocolaty and homemade my little Bakers recipe book is my go to book.
I must warn you that this pie has tons of calories but who counts on Valentine's Day anyway? Not me that's for sure. This is one of those special days that dieting goes right out the window where it belongs.
Because this recipe includes fresh strawberries means it is a healthy dessert pie.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: Roughly just over 1 hour
- 8 squares of semi-sweet Baker's chocolate. Please note that I used a store brand chocolate.
- 2/3 cup of corn syrup
- 1/2 cup of table cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell. I used a frozen pie shell as I do not do well with pastry at all.
- Cool Whip
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries washed and sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Since I cheated and used a frozen pie shell, I took it out of the freezer before starting to make my pie.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt 6 of the 8 squares. Each square should take about 1-2 minutes on high. Since you're melting six of them what I did was to set the microwave on 4 minutes and I stirred the melting chocolate after 2 minutes and continued to microwave the chocolate until it was almost completely melted. My microwave is getting old and this took a total of 7 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- In a medium sized bowl or in a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup add and mix together the melted chocolate, corn syrup and a 1/2 cup of cream.
- At this point you will add each egg one at a time whisking the mixture as you go.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake for 38 - 45 minutes, or when you can insert a butter knife into the center of the pie and have it come out clean.
- Please note: The center of the pie will slightly sink while cooling.
- Remove the pie from the oven and set on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Once the pie has completely cooled off it is time add the cool whip and strawberries. The original recipe called for whipping cream but I have changed the recipe to make it a little easier.
- Spoon the cool whip all over the top of the pie leaving an outer ring of chocolate showing.
- Next add the sliced strawberries.
- Melt the remaining 2 squares of chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over the strawberries. You can also drizzle some of the chocolate on the plate that you're serving the pie on.
- Slice, serve, and ENJOY!
- Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!