Coconut Curried Rice
Curried Rice - A Unique Side Dish!
When you have very little to work with you use what you have available. I had a cup of rice left in the pantry, plenty of curry powder, some coconut milk left over from lunch and chicken broth in the fridge that had to used somehow. Since money was tight and I had to bring lunch with me to work I thought "Why not make rice interesting for a change?" The key to this rice is toasting it the way you would Rice-a-Roni to bring out all the flavors and add a layer of complexity to the dish before you add the liquid. This recipe makes about 2 cups of rice.
Make It Vegetarian!
Use your favorite vegetable broth, bouillon, or stock. Plain water will work as well. Don't do butter or ghee? Use expeller-pressed coconut oil or virgin coconut oil. If you like you can use a vegan butter substitute. Add peppers, onions, garlic, etc and make your own unique coconut rice pilaf!
You are only limited by your imagination. Sky's the limit!
- 1 Cup organic basmati or any long grain white rice
- 1 Cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Cup water or broth
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 1 Tbs butter or oil
- 1 Tsp garlic powder to taste
- 1 Tsp onion powder to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 scallion chopped for garnish (optional)
- In a large sauce pan add butter or oil, curry powder and rice.
- Toast rice on medium high heat until for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning and making sure curry is evenly mixed.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Turn down heat to medium low and cook covered for about 15 minutes or until all liquid is evaporated.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes then serve.