Country Supper Recipe
Joy Of Comfort Food
Homemade Hamburger Helper
The ingredients for this homemade hamburger helper are smooth and interchangeable. This is a delicious & lighthearted recipe for an easy country supper, a relaxed down home specialty of mine. Whatever you have can be used - potatoes, rice, or noodles, hamburger, chicken, or soy, then add a few vegetables.
Flavored soup, such as cream of mushroom soup, can replace one of the ingredients. Five ingredients are all you need. This can be cooked in a frying pan or baked in a casserole dish.
For budgets that aren't so tight, add a little red wine for flavor, or sour cream, or heavy cream. A dash of chutney on the side is brilliant!
- 1 cup rice
- 1 pound hamburger
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup spinach
- chili powder
- Brown meat or soy with the vegetables until done and golden brown. Add in 1 cup of uncooked rice, 1 cup of dry noodles, or 3 medium chopped potatoes. Leave the skins on the potatoes.
- Seasoning with salt, pepper. Then get creative, add a good healthy dose of paprika or garlic. Or both. Seasonings tweak the flavor in a big way.
- A can of soup is brilliant at this point - cream of mushroom, cheese, tomato. You can be experimental. You will need some kind of a liquid, water will work.
- Extras - red wine,sour cream,milk,half & half,chopped cashews,or buttermilk
Chutney - Perfect for a Country Supper
I love chutney; it's all natural and delicious. I can eat this stuff like ice cream!
A little mingled bit of tart, sweet, or hot adds the perfect splash to supper.
I'll Have Seconds!
The last time I made this, it was excellent. I used about a pound of leftover ham, cut in small chunks, chopped raw potatoes, a cup of chopped mushrooms, about a cup of chopped onions, and a cup of sour cream. Seasoned with paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, and tumeric. I baked in a 425* oven for about an hour.
This recipe has an amazing capacity for change since none of the ingredients are fixed in stone. It's also very tasty and will be a little different every time you make it. This could be your signature dish!
Celery or beans or olives or tomatoes can be changed for the spinach.
Potatoes or rice or noodles are interchangeable too.
Supper, The Happiest Meal
This recipe can be make with fish, pork, poultry, or just vegetables. Recently, I used hamburger, potatoes, mushrooms, and onions. Then I threw in some spices I am learning about, including tumeric. Then cheeze on top! Omg! It's the mingling of the flavors that makes it great. And a cook can do some very interesting experimentation with spices.
What I like best about this recipe is that it is a very tasty homemade hamburger helper.
I hope that you have enjoyed your visit to Country Supper. Oh, yes, you did.
© 2011 Linda Hahn