- Food and Cooking
"Creamy" Cauliflower Sauce
Low Fat, Low Calorie, High Antioxidant "Creamy" Cauliflower Sauce
If you like creamy sauces, but can't eat dairy or need to keep your saturated fat consumption low, cauliflower can't be beat. Cauliflower is white and, when steamed and pureed and added to other ingredients, cauliflower can be part of a very healthy creamy sauce, good for pasta (whole grain, bean-based or Shirataki -- tofu based), sandwiches (veggie burgers, for example) or even on other vegetables.
- 1 Head Cauliflower steamed
- 1 -2 tablespoons Tahini
- Almond "milk" or soy "yogurt" as needed for consistency
- Sauteed Vegetables:
- any combination of onions
- shallots scallions
- garlic -- mushrooms
- something green (spinach kale
- eg) -- etc.
- Turmeric (3/4 teaspoon or to taste)
- Coriander (3/4 teaspoon or to taste)
- Cumin (1/4 teaspoon or to taste)
- 1 large can pitted black olives drained (optional)
- Saute the vegetables (in olive oil) and add the spices when they are almost cooked through. Cooking the veggies with the spices helps the spice mellow and blend with the other flavors. Take the cauliflower and put it in a food processor. Add Tahini and olives (if using) and the vegetables. Puree the mixture until it's well homogenized. That's it.
- If you are using this for pasta, cook the pasta according to the package directions (the pasta pictured, has a lot of protein and is available below). Mix in liberal amounts of the sauce (it's healthy, so enjoy!)
- You can also use this on sandwiches instead of mayo or on vegetables (like broccoli or asparagus, for example).
Pasta Alternatives from Amazon
The Cauliflower Sauce is great for Pasta alternatives.
One More Recipe
This is a quickie recipe.
- One veggie burger of your choice
- One bread/bun/corn or rice cake of your choice
- Cauliflower Sauce
- Make the burger according to package directions. If using bread or bun, warm it in the oven or toast to taste. Spread Cauliflower Sauce on the bread/bun/corn or rice cake and lay the burger on top. Cover with a top piece, if desired.
Veggie Products from Dr. Praeger on Amazon
While I prefer the Bombay and Tex-Mex flavored burgers, the California Burger, available on Amazon, is delicious too.
Use the Cauliflower Sauce as Salad Dressing
Over the summer, I eat more salads more often than I do in the winter. Lately, I make a salad with cucumbers, avocado, carrots, a nectarine or peach and a large can of black olives. I use either one large cucumber or 2 Kirby cucumbers, 1 avocado, 2-3 small carrots or 1-2 large carrots, 1 nectarine or peach. I dice the cucumber(s), avocado and nectarine or peach, cut the carrots lengthwise, then slice thinly, and, either take the olive as they are after draining, or, if I have the time, slice the olives (3 slices per small olive). Then, I put them in a bowl, spray olive oil on the veggies, and add balsamic vinegar (a splash or two) and a large spoonful or two of the cauliflower sauce. I mix this all together. The cauliflower sauce sort of gives the salad a creaminess without added fat.