Creole Chicken & Sausage Casserole
When you think of New Orleans style foods you probably think of Po-Boys, Jambalaya, Red Beans and Rice, and Gumbo just to mention a few. I wanted to come up with something that incorporated lots of these flavors and foods into one big dish. So I'd like to present to you my Creole Chicken & Sausage Casserole. I incorporated chicken, red beans and rice, creole seasoning, sausage and more. I was a little nervous to make it, but thankfully this creation turned out AMAZING! It has a wonderful kick to it, and a lot of flavor! This was very inexpensive, easy to make, and everyone loved it! *All photos taken by and belong to me*
- 1 Lg Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Lb Smoked Sausage
- 2 Cups Rice (I used Zatarain's Jambalaya Rice)
- 1 Can Red Kidney Beans
- 1 Green Pepper Diced
- 1/2 Onion Diced
- 1 Clove Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Creole Seasoning (I love Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Gather up all your ingredients and make sure you have everything you'll need.
2. Start your rice since that takes the longest to cook. Since I used the Zatarain's Jambalaya boxed rice I started by boiling some water as per the instructions on the box.
3. Cut your sausage up into bite size pieces, I went ahead and added it in with the rice while the rice cooked.
4. Cut up your chicken into small pieces, and get it started frying in the skillet. I sprinkled some extra creole seasoning on it, to add more flavor. Caution, this is very spicy if you use too much!
5. While your chicken is cooking finely dice up your green pepper, onion, and garlic.
6. Add the green peppers, onions, garlic, and red beans into a skillet. If you are using diced tomatoes you can add those as well (my fiance dislikes tomatoes so I omitted them). Add your onion and garlic powder to it, then saute this all together.
7. At this point your rice/sausage should be almost done. Once the chicken is done shred it up into small pieces.
8. Pour the rice/sausage into a casserole dish. Then add the shredded chicken, and all other ingredients into the dish. Mix well, add any remaining seasonings, and bake for 20 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees.
9. Viola! You have made my delicious New Orleans inspired Creole Chicken & Sausage Casserole, enjoy!