- Food and Cooking
Danish cinnamon roll recipe
Recipe for homemade cinnamon roll
This article reveals how to make very tasty homemade cinnamon rolls in the traditional danish style.
There is nothing as yummy as a golden brown, glinsing cinnamon roll with a thick coat of icing. It is truly a treat both for eyes, nose and tastebuds. If you have ever walked past a bakery in the morning when they are pulling the cinnamon rolls steaming fresh out of the oven, then you know what I mean.
Below I will teach you how to make mouth-watering delicious cinnamon rolls in your own kitchen.
There are step by step instructions on how to bake this amazing dessert cake. Cinnamon rolls are a type of cake that kids love and that are still extremely tasty for adults. Furthermore this recipe is so simple that you can bake it with you children and enjoy making this tasty treat together as a family.
Prep Time: 80min (60 of which is time where the dough is rising)
Total Time: 70-75min
Serves: 15 (approximately 30 cinnamon rolls)
- 250 g Butter
- 5 dl buttermilk
- 14 g dry yeast or 50g fresh
- 3.5 dl sugar
- 800 g Flour
- 2 -3 spoons of cinnamon
- half a teaspoon salt
- 400 g icing sugar
- Melt 100g butter over low heat on the stove. When the butter is melted, mix in the milk. Add the yeast, salt and 1.5 dl sugar to a mixing bowl and stir together. Add the butter and milk mixture and stir again.
- Add the flour while stirring until the dough goes firm and stops sticking. At this point knead the dough through so it is smooth. Let it rise for 40 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the filling. Take the last 150g butter and add the 2 dl sugar + the cinnamon powder. Stir it all together until it becomes a creamy, buttery cinnamon/sugar paste.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out a rectangular piece of doung on a flour strewn table. If you don't have much space you can divide the dough up in two and roll out twice.
- Now spread the Cinnamon paste over the dough. The thickness of the spread depends on how buttery you like your cinnamon rolls to be, usually I go with a layer similar to if I was adding butter to a piece of bread.
- When the filling has been applied, roll the dough into a roll like on the picture to the left. Then cut the roll into small pieces.
- Bake the rolls in a pre-heated oven (225 degrees for normal ovens, 180 for convection ovens). After 8 minutes check up on the cinnamon rolls to make sure they are not getting too dark. Depending on your oven the rolls will need 8-12 minutes of baking time.
- Once done, let the cakes cool off for 15 minutes while you sort out the icing. Mix icing sugar and water until the consistency is thick and not runny. (you will need less water than you assume). Now add a splash of icing to the cinnamon roles. If you are feeling creative you can decorate them with faces, animals or flowers. Usually at this point the smell has made me so hungry for cinnamon rolls that I just do a circle in the middle.
- Leave the icing to set or serve the cinnamon rolls while they are still warm.
- Pictures Â©Mistel
Ready Made Cinnamon Rolls
In case you don't have the time or just don't want to bake yourself, you can purchase a pack of delicious ready made rolls for the family.
Add an Easter feel to your cinnamon rolls
These cute little bunny cake toppers can turn your tasty cinnamon rolls into a yummy Easter treat.
Why not experiement with a bit of fruit color in the cake icing and make the cinnamon rolls match the easter bunnies?