- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Delicious Gluten-Free, Egg-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (Gluten-Free)
It's impossible to tell the difference between these cookies (which contain no gluten or eggs) and regular ones. Perfect for celiacs or just as a more healthy alternative to store-bought biscuits.
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free baking mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a baking sheet with butter or margarine, which should be set to one side for now.
- Cream the brown sugar, white sugar and butter together in a medium mixing bowl then add the egg substitute and vanilla gradually to the blend while constantly mixing.
- Sift the gluten-free baking mix, baking powder, baking soda and salt together into a seperate bowl and stir this into the butter mixture until they've properly blended, then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving two inches of space between them, then place them in the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for 2 minutes before transfering them to a wire rack to cool fully.
Notes & Tips
-In step 4, you can tell the cookies are done if they've taken on a pleasant, golden-brown hue.
-Store the cookies at room temperature in air-tight containers for 3 - 4 days.
-If the dough is too dry, add 1/4 - 1/2 cup apple sauce to the mixture in step 2, while adding the egg substitute and vanilla extract.
-The recipe still works perfectly well if you use 2 eggs instead of the substitute.
-Get inventive with the egg substitute. Vanilla coconut yoghurt is one good replacement, as are bananas and store-bought egg substitutes. If vegans plan to use the store-bought variety, they should remember to read the packaging beforehand, as some brands include egg whites.